pcp/springer

air gunner

I would liek to know the same!

I have a 10 power Webley and its been around a year or so so prob about 9 now.

Would i be better off with a very light ammo for accuracy aka head shots on squirrels or is heavier more stable?

• 1 month later...

The heavier the pellet = more knock down power , transfers more energy to target , holds more energy at longer ranges.

The lighter the pellet = longer range , better penetration , flatter trajectory , higher velocity.

The power shouldn't change regardless of the type of gun ( Spring or PCP ) but may change due to weight of the pellet - lighter pellet = more power but if you use the same pellets the power shouldn't change as long as the power output is consistent.

The heavier the pellet = more knock down power , transfers more energy to target , holds more energy at longer ranges.

The lighter the pellet = longer range , better penetration , flatter trajectory , higher velocity.

Two points i will disagree on? The heavier pellet will have deeper penetration on a soft target due to it greater weight, and the heavier pellet will travel further for the same aforementioned reason, but with the heavier pellet comes the more pronounced rainbow arched trajectory..

someone with more technical knowledge than me will be able to explain better but, the heavier pellets are designed for pcp not spring powered. its to do with the difference in how both types release the air. i think a springer, when the sear is released, spring and piston snap forward creating a sudden bang of air which pushes the pellet. that single quick pop of air is what pushes the pellet. the difference with a pcp(talking milliseconds), is the valve releases air in a more gradual controlled manner with air from the valve still pushing the pellet until it leaves the barrel. a springer is more of a "pop" whilst the pcp is a "whoosh" if that makes any sense. the "pop" from a springer will not push a heavier pellet as effectively as a light one loseing too much energy. however as the pellet energy is built up more gradually in a pcp the heavier pellet does not lose as much. some even say heavy pellets can damage a springer, but they must surely be talking about the fac rated ammo?

put it this way heavy for pcps light for springers,,id say 14.5 g for springers and anything up to 28g for pcps.dont go any less than the 14.5 as the poundage goes to fac and you will be in the s---.the permithius pellets put out an extra 7lb on a standard 11lb gun,,,be warned though ,,,we tried this to find out which pellet would be best for our gun,,we used 12 different makes,in the end we used the rws that brings them up to 11.65lb. :rolleyes: