7 month spaniels training

darren m

just wondering about training and how i read about some peoples dogs being much further on and advanced than others in there training etc and how they can do this and that perfectly .

Also read past comments that you should,nt start spaniel training till at least 6-8 months.

my little bitch is just over 7 months and was just thinking about where we should be at this time , if i,m on track etc :yahoo::yahoo: i suppose it depends on the individual dog , but i just carn't help thinking i,m falling behind

Take it easy, keep it varied and fun and get the basics engrained before moving on.

I pushed my current ESS too far when she was younger as she seemed to be taking it all on, then the wheels came off about 10 months and, now, 8 months of hard graft and many backward steps later I am seeing results because everything now sits in context for the dog. Lots of small steps and don't compare your progress with others - lets face it, they'll tell you what their dog will do well, they won't telll you what it won't do.

7 months is still v.much puppy so relax and good luck :good:

Wise words from all, basic training is ok upto about 1 year, keep it all fun n reward based and dont pressure the pup.

Try to encourage the intincts to hunt in grass etc, by throwing balls in etc, followed by loads of praise IF you get a retrieve!

Its all about letting the pup develop in the right direction and building confidence, and your relationship.

Most of all, enjoy :lol:

ATB

Nick :good: