New dog coming soon

Wookie

Well, Mrs. Wookie and I are taking delivery of a new hyper ball of utter nightmare spaniel next weekend and as I don't want to repeat some of the mistakes that I made with Ted, I thought I would open up the subject of introducing a new puppy to the collective wisdom of PW.

Ralph (yes, there will be two spaniels named after fast show characters in the house) is/will be an 8 week old working type Cocker Spaniel when we get him.

Our plan is to get him crated in the room that Ted sleeps in so that he has a little privacy and somewhere he can call his own, but still has the closeness to Ted that he will probably want (unless Ted farts which, if the weekend's performance is anything to go by, will end his chances of scenting anything). I'm also going to be working from home for the first few weeks, then going on an extended morning/lunch stayover until Mrs. Wookie can get home so that he's not feeling alone.

What tips, tricks and advice have people got for a) introducing a new puppy to an older dog's household and 2) getting the puppy sorted for things like house training and crate training. Ted's crate training was easy enough, but with two of them around, I think it might be different, especially as Ted sleeps on his Toughie now and not in a crate. He was also mostly toilet trained when we got him.

Also, at what age should he be getting his first set of jabs? He'll be 8 weeks on the Saturday we collect him.

Cheers,

Wookie

Got that, don't you worry! Mrs. Wookie is going to be the proud owner of all the stickies here (apart from the squirrel one) very soon.

I was more after little tips or tricks that people have learned over the years that make things a little easier for a new dog in a household with another dog.

Wookie

Wookie

my honest humble opinion is keep the new dog outside and make a proper job of it, we have a Terrier (mrs P's) in the house and the lab is outside its never been a problem, sitting on your armchair watching the fast show may be fine for a lap dog but not a well trained working Spaniel... er come ot think of it have i ever seen a well trained spaniel :lol: they get spoilt and think they have certain privileges. I understand some folk just don’t have the room etc to kennel a dog outside but inside = pet outside= worker in most cases. It also avoids the need for you to baby sit all day to stop your house getting wrecked , sure they cry a bit for a short time outside but that can be cured quite simply and quickly if in the wild it would sleep in a ditch or under a bush and would have no need to share Teds bedroom :hmm:

I know what you are saying, but we looked into moving Ted to his own run and kennel when he was younger. We just genuinely do not have the space to put a run up for them. You've seen the garden and the chicken run takes up the only spare space we have.

Say what you like about Ted though... He's a worker, the pet part is secondary. He has to earn his keep and Ralph will be the same. Neither of them are going to get the luxury of sitting on laps though.

Neither of them are going to get the luxury of sitting on laps though.

Ted must save it for visits then cause he spent 20 mins trying to **** Zapps leg and the rest of the time giving me google eyes for sugar

:lol::hmm:;)

Wookie - a few things I would be thinking about; by 8 weeks he will probably have had his first set of vacs, but check with the breeder. He will need probably need another set 10 - 12 weeks, but your vet will keep you right, I would be taking him there in the first week to get him checked over and registered. If he is docked he will, I think, need to be microchipped and this may or may not have been done - I'm not sure of the legal requirements as we're not allowed to dock at all up here :hmm:

I would do the intro to Ted somewhere neutral to start with, then into your garden then into the house - makes for less of a frenzy in the house. When you let the pup out of his crate at any time get him straight outside and don't fuss him at all, he will be more inclined to pee on the floor if he gets excited and you want to be able to praise him for doing it outside rather than chastise him for doing it inside. There's plenty of methods people use for house training, personally i have found that giving the dog ample opportuntity to toilet outside minimises accidents and if the pup's in the house from day 1 chances are he'll learn pretty quickly, but he's a small dog with small organs so needs to go a lot, by 12 weeks you should be there or thereabouts. Give him, and yourselves, a chance by leaving paper by the door so he can do it there and it's easy to clean up.

Good luck with him, don't envy you :lol:;)