Advice Needed- Rabbits, Squirrels And Pigeons

edr

I have recently got permission to shoot on a local shooting ground which i both shoot and trap at. The ground is under a limited number of days shooting due to noise pollution. I have been invited to use my air rifle on rabbits, squirrels and pigeons; the ground hosts sporting and a informal skeet, the sporting runs through the woods and on to grassland with lake etc. Not only are the trap towers (i am allowed to climb to use as a high seat) there are also mud banks to help contain the noise. My question is: Is it better to shoot off a tower/bank or to move round the woods/grassland to "stalk" the quarry. Also any other tips or pointers as this is my first time shooting rabbits and squirrels with an air rifle.

EDR

<<<<<<< Mods not sure if this is the right section (sorry if it isn't)>>>>>>>>>

Edited by edr

Shooting rabbits from an elevated position will work well - look for fresh droppings near obvious warrens (and signs of crop/grass damage), and lie up ready to ambush them from a suitable range. Rabbits are very sensitive to vibration and noise, so one you are in position, don't get up until you have either killed everything or are heading off to another firing point.

At this time of year, with trees in full leaf, you are best shooting squirrels from ground level, padding around or just sitting quietly. With pigeons, look for obvious roosts with signs of droppings beneath, and similarly, wait for birds to land above you.

With the limited range of an air rifle, your fieldcraft will be as (if not more) important than your marksmanship.

• 4 weeks later...