Pigeon as a starter ..

wiggy1234567

I did a starter with duck yesterday, but it should work as well with pigeon..

For the pigeon, simply seal in a frying pan, season, and then put in the oven until the meat is cooked (still and tiny bit pink if you like it like that) and take out to rest.

Make a potato salad by cleaning new potatoes, cutting into halves and then boiling in a pan with salted water until cooked. Once done, immediately drain off and run under cold water until the potatoes are cold. Then drain off again and sit to one side. In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, finely chopped spring onions and chopped parsley, season and then mix in with the potatoes.

Make a sauce by putting blackcurrants in a pan with a mixture of beef stock, water (roughly 30:70 respectively) and a tablespoon of sugar (for ~250g of blackcurrants) and leave to simmer until the blackcurrants ahve broken down, then pass though a very fine sieve. If sauce is too sharp then add a little more sugar and return to the heat to dissolve.

To serve, I use a 4" cake rings and put the potato salad in there, pressing down so that it roughly holds its shape and then remove the ring, slice the pigeon breasts and arrange on the plate, and then drizzle a little sauce over both the pigeon and the top of the potato salad.

Enjoy! :good:

and let me know whether ya like it! :lol:

Robo

I agree the old pigeon and blackcurrants is delicious, but can I suggest a

A warm salad of Pigeon and Black Pudding

2 pigeons, plucked.

400g black pudding

200g pancetta, lardons

A big bowl of mixed peppery leaves (rocket, baby spinach, watercress )

Olive oil

2 tbsp sherry or balsamic vinegar

Juice of 1 lemon.

Salt and pepper.

1. In a hot pan, pour a good glug (1 tbsp) olive oil. When this is really hot, add the bacon and cook until it starts to crisp.

2. In another pan, do the same to the sliced black pudding. Add the bacon to the black pudding, and turn down the heat.

3. In the original pan, heat up the olive oil /bacon fat and sear our seasoned pigeon breast for 2 minutes each side.

4. After 4 mins, remove them, let the rest, and deglaze their cooking pan with half the balsamic vinegar.

5. Pour and scrape the contents in with the black pudding and bacon.

6. Pour the rest of the vinegar over the pudding and bacon.

7. Dress the leaves with olive oil and lemon juice and pile in the middle of a plate.

8. Sprinkle the black pudding, bacon and vinegar over and around, then slice the rare pigeon over the salad.

enjoy

Frank