Springer taking fits

GW80

My youngest springer who is about 4 year old has just taken his 2nd fit(that i know off) after the 1st time i saw him have a fit i took him to the vet, he checked him over and said there didn't seem any problem. Tonight just a few minutes ago he took another and seems to be alright now but it is worrying, he's fit and gets plenty of work, not drinking alot of water (so i reckon he's not diabetic) has anyone else experienced problems like this as it worrying me a bit as he's the best wee dog i've had and wouldn't like to loose him.

What happen's during the fit?

Bit more detail please <_<

Hi mate

he just lies down in the middle of the run, and starts shaking and jerking, when i went to him he was very rigid and his tongue wasn't a healthy colour. i have him in with me now and he he seems grand but as i say i'm worried, in every other way he seems dead on, but this has happened twice lately, and to be honest i'm not that impressed with my vet!! If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!!

One thing it could be is he might be low on his sugar level.

Has he been a long walk or worked hard in the heat today?

already thought of that mate, i don't work my dogs too much at this time of year, and he had only a short run earlier, as i say he's spot on now but i'm just worried as i my dad had a lab that showed similar symptons a few years back that ended up with a massive tumour on her brain! Probably over reacting but when you get a good dog you want the best for them!!

It could be low glucose levels - in which case the vet won't be able to find anything on bloods, as they would have returned to normal fairly quickly.

I'm assuming the vet has taken bloods to rule out liver/kidney/other problems?

If they're normal, then you could be looking at epilepsy - but fits usually happen when they're at rest.

What's your feeding pattern?

Don't give up on the vet yet, sometimes we need a crystal ball, not a cat scanner!!

Jim

It could be low glucose levels - in which case the vet won't be able to find anything on bloods, as they would have returned to normal fairly quickly.

I'm assuming the vet has taken bloods to rule out liver/kidney/other problems?

If they're normal, then you could be looking at epilepsy - but fits usually happen when they're at rest.

What's your feeding pattern?

Don't give up on the vet yet, sometimes we need a crystal ball, not a cat scanner!!

Jim

I take it your a vet sir? I didn't mean to sound crude!!

Have went down the roads of low glucose etc and i feed him twice a day with small feeds, in every other way the dog is fantastic, just twice he has had fits in front of me! He worked my shoot last season without any worries and also has been a good dog in the but while fowling along the shore! But in the last 2 months has taken fit's (only 2 that i know of) just a bit concerned that there's no underlaying problem!

He's a fairly young dog, so it's possibly epilepsy then.

You need to rule out metabolic causes of fits first though. Brain tumours are extremely rare, and you'd be looking at mri scans or similar to confirm that.

Epilepsy can be controlled with medication if needed- each dog is different in this respect, and it is a bit of trial and error. It can't be cured however, and the aim of treatment is to get the fits to a manageable level for both owner and dog.

It probably needs looked into a bit more - good luck

Jim

He's a fairly young dog, so it's possibly epilepsy then.

You need to rule out metabolic causes of fits first though. Brain tumours are extremely rare, and you'd be looking at mri scans or similar to confirm that.

Epilepsy can be controlled with medication if needed- each dog is different in this respect, and it is a bit of trial and error. It can't be cured however, and the aim of treatment is to get the fits to a manageable level for both owner and dog.

It probably needs looked into a bit more - good luck

Jim

Thanks,

I reckon there is something wrong, he is grand most of the time, but it is horrible watching him have a turn! In every other way he is great just every now and again he takes a fit, i'm just worried at the present because of him being young and wasn't expecting any health issues.

By the way if it is epilepsy is the medication expensive?

Can't remember properly off the top of my head, sorry. Should be less than £1 per day though.

Then add in 1or2 blood samples a year if on phenobarbitone, to check blood levels.

It's not that uncommon in young, otherwise healthy dogs - see a bit of it here in working collies, and there seems to be a genetic predisposition - often passed fown from parent to pup.

The fits are unpleasant to witness but if they're short don't cause any problems If they last longer than about 10min, or he seems to be coming out of one and straight into another, then vet him to the vet ASap.

Jim