GUN FAULTS

SNAKEBITE

Would it be worth starting a topic on the "niggly" faults that people find in the guns they have?

This would help any potential buyers and people who have the guns get over any problems. This may have been done before or been done in a different section. If so the moderators please put me straight!

Here goes with my input............

WEIHRACH HW57 .22

The catch at the muzzle end that youslide back to cock the gun needs to be kept SPOTLESSLY clean. Any debris causes the slide to bind up and not work.

I oil every trip and will soon be flushing out the workings with WD40 and then re-oiling.

Care needs to be taken when inserting pellet into loader. Loose pellets can fall through the hole leaving the loader empty (nothing coming out the buisness end!!) or worse stil jam the loader where the pellet protrudes through the other side.

Hope this helps.

EDITED TO CORRECT MY ATROCHOUS SPELLING!

Edited by SNAKEBITE

I dont think i have ever owned an air rifle that i havnt had a niggly fault with (but nothing major apart from the stealth!) so will try to list all i can rember.

The following are in no particular order:

GUNPOWER STEALTH: nothing good about it apart from being able to tune it and its looks.

Air arms S200: slight bolt flip on fireing cured by using a modified thumbs up grip (thuimb holds bolt down)

Air arms S410 thumb hole stock: due to using a thumbs up position most the time there is no thumbs up option for this stock, and just didnt feel natural holding it in the thumb hole.

BSA lightning: didnt like the sharp edges on the trigger and didnt get on too well with single stage trigger.

Career 707: trigger was not very nice and just didnt sit on the shoulder very comforably using a scope sue to the low comb.

Air Arms Tx200 MK2&3: was hard to tell if it was the anit bear trap that had engaed or the trigger sear. needed just a little jerk to ensure was cocked properly.

Hw80: kicked like a mule, lots of scope movment without aresstor pin being used.

HW95: erm non that i can thik of at the moment, could help in the fact that it was venom tuned!!!!! this is the only rifle i have ever sold that i have asked for first refusal on should he ever think about parting with it.

Fenman profile: barrel just slightly too short to enable fitting of a QD sling swivel without cocking the rifle and digging the fittinginto the nice wood work!

Rapid 7: lack of being able to chaneg scope position or scope mounts without special mounts being purchased from theoben.

Webley Stingray: safty catch was very stiff and one heck of a twang. (only rifle have ever bought new!)

Webley longbow: Non that i can think of.

BSA hornet: gap between trigger guard and grip too small and pinched hand. havnt made my mind up about the two stage cocking yet, not sure if good or bad.

HW77: way too long when you have a silencer fitted as well.

SMK B2: not really anything nice to say about this one aprat from the good idea of the barrel release.

best rifle have ever owned:

Spring: TX200 MK1 (still own)

PCP: S410 with thumbhole stock.

I have never had a single problem due to a manufacturing fault (apart from the stealth but thats a topic all to its self) in 4 years at the club the only faults i have seen that are non user error have been on early S410s where the magazine indexing thing has snapped (after many 1000's of pellets) and even then it was only a 10 min job to replace once parts arrived.

well i think i have covered about all the rifles i have owned myself some i loved to bits warts and all some i couldnt wait to get rid of. It just shows the importance of trying a rifle to see how it suiets you yourself instead of going on word of mouth, or even worse what the comics say!!!!!(airgunner/airgun world)

ROB :thumbs:

post script:

Tried a BSA Lightening XL at the club a couyple of weeks ago and its a totaly different rifle to the original, trigger is much nicer two stage unit with no sharp edges, they have tunred a decent rifle into a really good rifle now :)

BSA Ultra, very similar to the hornet only with the modification of the trigger gauird being slightly forward oif the pistol griop, meaning there is now pleanty of room for fingers there without being squashed :) have to say was a very nice tiny little rifle, with the one draw back of only being 40 shots :(

Edited by roblade

• 2 months later...
Air Arms Tx200 MK2&3: was hard to tell if it was the anit bear trap that had engaed or the trigger sear. needed just a little jerk to ensure was cocked properly.

Yup - I agree. One way though is to glance down at the safety. If you can see the green stripe, it's fully cocked. It's only an issue if you're trying to cock quietly for a second shot.

My only grumble about the rifle apart from its weight (which seems to grow as you lug it around on a hot day - all my shooting is on steep ground) is the noise of the anti-beartrap mechanism. Clack, clack, clack, clack....

Still, I've shot eighty-four rabbits with it in the last four or five weeks - can't complain really, though I'm really tempted by a Webley Axsor I've seen. Do they have any faults - other than being now obsolete?