New FAC pending.

deputy dog

Hello all. Last Thursday i put in for my FAC, after a year of nagging off a close friend and fello shooter. Quite suprisingly Friday afternoon i had a phone call off Gwent Police saying their sending some one out to see me this coming Wednesday. I'v put in for a .22 rimy and .17 rifle. Depending on every thing going well with the police, which i'm pretty much sure it will. I would just like to ask you, the more experienced rifle shooters for any information on what the pros and cons of the 2 calibers are. What makes are the better and what ammo is better to use through them. Any information would be gratefully excepted. Then hopefully in a week or 2 i can start sharing my own stories about good stalks and decent shots made.

Ps

Good shooting to all

Gareth. :good::yes::good:

Edited by deputy dog

Hi mate, I`ve just put In for my fac as well :yes:

From information gathered, the .22 Is better used for lamping or areas where noise Is a factor as It`s a lot quieter than the 17hmr.

The 17 hmr Is Ideal for long range vermin and daytime use.

The CZ`s seem the most popular choice.

As for ammo :good: I don`t really know :good:

jase.

With the .22LR you can shoot confidently to around 80 yards depending on weather ect. More with practice. With the .17HMR you can zero at 150 yards and take it out to 200 at a push. I zero at 100. So that's an advantage of the HMR. Also, some forces clear HMR for fox which could be useful.

.17HMR is generally more accurate, but as said is noisy. My preference is the HMR mind you.

Hornady and Remington are the most popular for HMR it seems. My rifle runs Hornady better than Rem. CCI's are not so good from what I've heard from people on here and in magazines, so I avoid them.

Don't know about .22 ammo as it is my dads really and I just stick to my HMR. :good: Heard good stories about Eley subs :yes:

Oh, .22 ammo is far cheaper. About £35/500 instead of £115/500 for HMR.

:good:

Thanks for the feed back lads. And WEEJAS i hope you to are successfull in getting your licence. I'm hoping that i'l be granted the 2 calibers i put in for, so i can have the pick on any given outing then. Seen a few vids with the HMR and they look the biz at the longer ranges. That will prove better for rabbits who are a bit wary and hard to stalk. With the noise factor, i'm not to bothered. Its got to be better then banging away early morning with my shotgun, much less disturbance to the surrounding shooting area. Looking forward to evening and early morning stalks now. Usually use an air rifle. And not bragging myself up too much lol, i'm not a bad shot either. But will be a lot more confident in killing cleanly every shot with a proper rifle, which we strive to do any way. Thanks again lads and good shooting to all.

Gareth

Edited by deputy dog