help gettin started....

hi,ive been wanting to get into shooting for a while now.and now my circumstances are better(got rid of girlfriend.didnt agree with guns etc..)i really want to do it.i used to shot when i was younger(12 up to 17 years of age. im 26 now)only air rifles though.ive rang a local gun club,but ive got to wait on a 6 month waiting list,which i can understand.i live in sheffield and was wondering if any one could help me start up,teach me or point me in the right direction on how to do things.i dont want to just jump in on my own as i know saftey is a big issue,i am willing to do what it takes and follow the right guidelines.reading through this forum(which by the way is the best on the net.ive searched alot of them.lol.)ive read alot of what you guys have wrote and taken a lot in.so my questions are:

1:does any one live near me(im willing to travel throughout south yorkshire)that can help.

2:do i need to apply for a fac now to start or wait tell ive joined a club?

3:i want to do range shooting and go out on shoots for bunnys and other vermin,so any advice there would be great.or even tag along with someone on shoots to get experince would be brill.(bit cheeky i know.but if you dont ask,you dont get.)

ive just started a new job,so money isnt a problem to pay my way.

thanks for reading,and i hope you can help. :blink:

hi,ive been wanting to get into shooting for a while now.and now my circumstances are better(got rid of girlfriend.didnt agree with guns etc..)i really want to do it.i used to shot when i was younger(12 up to 17 years of age. im 26 now)only air rifles though.ive rang a local gun club,but ive got to wait on a 6 month waiting list,which i can understand.i live in sheffield and was wondering if any one could help me start up,teach me or point me in the right direction on how to do things.i dont want to just jump in on my own as i know saftey is a big issue,i am willing to do what it takes and follow the right guidelines.reading through this forum(which by the way is the best on the net.ive searched alot of them.lol.)ive read alot of what you guys have wrote and taken a lot in.so my questions are:

1:does any one live near me(im willing to travel throughout south yorkshire)that can help.

Can't help you there, mate.

Is it powder burning rifles you want to shoot? You'd need the FAC for air rifles over 12 ft lbs energy, or rimfire/centrefire. If you have suitable land to shoot over (I.e. permission to shoot), then you can apply straight away for vermin control. If you have no land, but wish to use the gun at a club, you'd need to join the club, and be eligible to apply for FAC after 6 months or so.

3:i want to do range shooting and go out on shoots for bunnys and other vermin,so any advice there would be great.or even tag along with someone on shoots to get experince would be brill.(bit cheeky i know.but if you dont ask,you dont get.)

thanks for reading,and i hope you can help. :blink:

Start knocking on farm doors, estates etc. You'll get lots of knock-backs, but keep asking if they need free pest control. Don't be pushy, but look smart, and sound pleasant.

cheers for that.its rimfire rifles.i read alot about them on here,and there the ones i wish to use.thanks for the advice though.and if any one could help me in the sheffield area to gain access to land that would be brill.think i will spend my weekend knocking on farmers doors like you said.i do want to do range shooting but i really want to get out into the country and get some bunnies.

thanks again.

Edited by smokey0807

thanks for reading,and i hope you can help. :good:

i would apply for a SGC first, this will be a foot in the door to offering farmers help with pigeons / rabbits, once you have built up some trust with a farmer - then get the FAC sorted.

IMHO you will struggle to get any permission knocking on doors and asking for help to aquire a FAC.

(you dont need permission to get a SGC)

good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by pegasus bridge