Shooting pidgeons with a camera

jpw99

My back garden is wonderful, it overlooks fields and woods and is currently planted with wheat. The woods at the back are full of pigeons and their flight path is directly across my field of view. There is also a powerline spanning the field and i have the enviable pleasure of watching them day in and day out. It gives me the opportunity to observe them at close range on a daily basis. They have been interested in the wheat for some time now and have been lining up like little soldiers on the power lines looking enviously down at the wheat. Yesterday i observed that they were now ready to dine and were dropping down for a quick snack and back up onto the lines. Out with the camera and start gathering evidence. Have not spoken to the boss yet but i think it might well help my case if i present him with some pics when i ask for permission. I have no doubt he knows they are there, but i think if he can see the trouble i have gone to it might tip the balance in my favour when i cold call on his doorstep.

I am bracing myself for a refusal as i have seen another shooter with the rotary having a great day much to annoyance of my neighbours, but that was last year and perhaps the poor guy isn't with us anymore. I don't wish ill of him but i hope at the very least he has had his licence revoked :lol: Cheers,

Jim the geordie

in my experiance there are 2 types of farmer, the ones that wont allow shooting, fullstop, and the ones that allow every man and his mate onto their land.

i shoot on one piece of land that is sharred by no less than 9 shooters, and its not a syndicate.

i also belong to a syndicate whom own the sporting rights to some land, and the farmer very often gets other people in on the land without so much as a word to us, unfortuantly the farmer is commiting an offence (innocent as action might be) and the shooter is poaching and commiting armed trespass.

always ask the owner of the land if they own the sporting rights, i'm lucky that ive only been on the good end of this mistake, but i know it will be the other way around one day.

more to the point, if the farmer is being destroyed by woodies, he will prob say yes please, either way, good luck

jpw99, there are also Farmers with fields close to houses, that have allowed a

shooter with the rotary having a great day much to annoyance of my neighbours,

The resultant complaints from the house occupiers , means he probably doesn't permit shooting on those fields any more.

Its just not worth the aggravation for him.

Thanks for that Nick.

Oops - have just thought of a possible snag :lol::lol: Quite recently a phone company wanted to put a mast on his field - 300 yards directly in front of my property. I believe he was to get about 4 or 5 Grand a year out of it. Almost to a man we went against it and got the council to refuse permission :lol::lol: I hope he doesn't hold a grudge :D:lol: Perhaps if i say i was the only one in favour of the mast he might believe me :lol: :o

Cheers

Jim

Cheers Cranfield thats made me feel much better :lol: To clarify my post re complaints by neibours - I should say they were complaining among themselves, and i don't know if the farmer actually received complaints directly, but now you mention it there is a more than 50/50 chance that he got some directly :lol: :o

Oh No man :lol:

Jim

Hi Dunganick,

Luckily I`ve found a third type of farmer/manager - one who allows ONLY yours truly to shoot over 1,000 acres!! I have sole permission to shoot over thousands more acres, so this third type must be fairly common. Some others allow me to shoot during the week, because they have a local gun at weekends. This means that pigeons etc. are a bit wary on Mondays but I give `em hell during the rest of the week. Obviously the same applies to the weekender if I shoot birds hard on Fridays.

I`m a great believer in taking a camera with me when shooting. Shots of the hide, pattern, bag etc. help to cement relations with landowners.