TX 200 problem.

Evilv

Do any of you chaps know about the TX200? Last week, I had a nasty slip up when trying to re-cock the rifle quietly for a scond shot at some rabbits. It was hot, and having pressed down the bear trap release button while cocking to make it silent (but also remove the anti beartrap mechanism) my hand slipped off the cocking leadr due to sweat, and the thing slammed back like a bear trap - Oh - that's what that's for, thinks stupid gunner. After wards the thing was spraying shots all over until I took off the silencer, when it returned to its usual perfect manners (tight groups). The silencer is shaving pellets as they pass through. I can see the bits inside it, but it is perfect in itself.

Any time I put on the silencer, the same thing happens, and I'm thinking I must have misaligned the inner barrel and the outer shroud into which the silencer screws...

Is there any amateur solution, or will it have to go back to the manufacturer for repair?

Personally I would get the rifle looked at by someone in the know. If you have access to a second silencer you could see if you get the same problem which would then suggest further problems with the barrel. Or settle for some well placed loud shots..not the best solution though.

Regards,

Axe.

when the gun has slammed forward it has moved the silencer over ever so slighty you need to redo your silencer this will stop the pellets from being shaved if this does not work drill the end of the silecer to if in .22 ie 5.5mm upto 5.6mm this will work also hope this helps. :lol::lol::lol::lol: :o

sounds like yuo got off lightly with this one :lol:

at worst its a usable rifle without a silencer, and at best its a duff silencer.

First thing you should do is try another silencer on the rifle if at all possible, and i dont mean the silly little phlem silencer you get with it.

w3hat type of silencer were you suing on it? can nit be stripped and cleaned? could be that one of the baffles has come addrift slightly and just needs re-alnging.

if that cures your problem all well and good if not sounds like you will either have to pay a few pennies out to have the shroud sorted out, as it could possibly have bent it slightly.

But just think of the damage that could have been done, brocken stock bent barrel bent underlever and brocken silencer :lol:

Now i have been guilty of using a TX200 with the anti bear trap totaly removed!!!! I also realised the error of my ways and refitted it, then i went out and bought a TX200 MK1 with no bear trap. If it has it dont change it if not make sure you got a good grip :lol:

all the best

ROB :o

Thanks guys - and I DO know how stupid this was, but I wanted that second rabbit from the group that were still sitting after I'd just blown the brains out of one of their group. It was 30C that day and I was sweating like a pig - that's how my hand slipped. I'm lucky. The way it slammed back, I could have had my hand in plaster.

I spoke to Air Arms this afternoon, and their technical people said what Karl did, that the silencer was probably slightly bent out of alignment, and as long as the rifle looked and worked ok without it, which it does, especially after I retightened the front stock screws which were mysteriously loosened by the event, it was probably OK.

I took out all the innards of the silencer, and shot it just with the tube and no guts or front end. Grouped properly. Then I put on the front cover disk and pellets were missing by a foot in sixty feet. I reamed out the holein the front end slightly and it's still the same. I'm up to about 6.5mm, but I need some larger drills to do any better. The silencer is still almost as quiet - without the baffles, as long as the front end is on it. I'm going to just open it up until it works.

Without the silencer, I'm getting 5p sized groups at sixty feet - 10mm in other words.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted, and to hell with second shots. I won't be circumventing that safety feature again in a hurry. You'd be surprised how much power that spring has when released at the peak of it's compression, though the rabbits might not be.

Edited by Evilv

Sounds like a lesson learnt, im glad it all got sorted without too much fuss. At least you can keep testing the spring tension on those Rabbits. :lol:

Regards,

Axe.

Yeah Axe, I just got back from testing the spring tension. Check out the results here mate... LOL.

http://huntingblog.blogspot.com/

I'll say this - that TX is a well made piece of kit. Obviously, the accident hasn't effected its accuracy much...

Edited by Evilv