Re-doing a stock

ferretmanabu

I have an old AYA Yeoman which I bought quite cheap. The stock is not in great shape and I would like to make it look nicer and don't mind messing around as the gun was quite cheap. The thing is, I haven't got a bloody clue what to do.

Do I need to completely get the old finish off by sanding down and then go from there? Anyone got advice on the steps I need to take. Thanks.

F

Take the finish off. I used a piece of old glass to scrape it off but you have to be careful. The choice is yours.Then remove the dents by raising the grain through applying heat from a steam iron, with the stock suitably protected (ie. a wet cloth or similar) sand down the raised grain. Then sand down the whole stock with wet/dry paper decreasing the grit until you are using 1600 grade or finer. When you have the stock nice and smooth apply some alkanet root oil to give it a good colour. Once you have done that you start to oil it. Let me know when you get to this stage and I'll tell you what not to do. It all takes time but it is quite rewarding.

Regards

P

A tip from stockmakers. Try `whiskering` the woodwork for a smoother finish before using finest grade wire wool.

Whisker by wetting the stock and drying off quickly and you`ll feel the grain rising each time. I used to do mine over the gas ring, CAREFULLY!!!

main problem is the chequering on the pistol grips, ive seen stocks be refinished beutifully apart from a brown mess on the pistol grip, whatr are peoples method for getting into this?

Hey Nick , it can be a pain in the butt if you go the old route ,try this ,i use a product called Circa 1850 stripper, the use of a piece of glass is dogey you will find it cuts the wood grain ,therefore more finishing will be required .

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...2C33072%2C34485

i would think you can get the equivelant there ,get yourself a stiff toothbrush ,not yours :lol: ,brush this in over the chequering leave for 5mins then wash off ,repeat till clear of varnish/finish, i would think an old swade brush will suffice also , all my stocks are cleaned this way, then any repointing can be done prior to finish oil coats

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...?showtopic=8964

the 2 ultras shown one has a gloss oil the other a satin ,both have been rechequered after the palmswell was removed ,that'l make your eye's cross :lol: ,the finishing of any stock is a time consumer ,do not rush it .

Martin

i might have to try and re finish my little rimfire, its got an awful stock colour, its pale and creamy, i would do anything to get it a nice dark colour, would i simply need to put on this product you show, take it off and then re apply my desired finish?

how many times do you apply and remove the product before you have no finish left on the wood, or varnish (which i believe is what my stock is finished in.

the varnish or Urethane used on most stocks will come off relatively easy with 2 or 3 applications ,of cource around the chequered area in the grip you will have to pay more attention,more like 5/6 times to remove it all , as said a stiff toothbrush will do the trick ,the product i use is water based for easy cleaning or removal and no damage to the wood , "Percy-Verance" Nick :lol: it takes time but the results are worth it, on a lighter note , try looking in the mirror after 3-4 hours of recutting the chequering , if you took a shot at the sky you'd miss :lol: .

good luck Nick :lol:

Martin