retreiving problem, cocker spaniel

kipper33

Hi All,

I am having problems getting my Cocker to retreive, she is fine at home and can't wait to retreive But once we are out, she will run to the dummy look at it and either run back to me or sniff some where else. She walks to heel, always comes back to recall and good with the stop/sit wistle

But she will not retreive when out and it's doing my head in!!!

any help would be great

Cheers

Keith

Hi All,

I am having problems getting my Cocker to retreive, she is fine at home and can't wait to retreive But once we are out, she will run to the dummy look at it and either run back to me or sniff some where else. She walks to heel, always comes back to recall and good with the stop/sit wistle

But she will not retreive when out and it's doing my head in!!!

any help would be great

Cheers

Keith

Back to basics again im afraid, you need to start with the tennis ball, rub plenty off your scent on it, spit on it etc Is the dummy too heavy for the dog, their must be a logical reason why she turns her nose up, dont over train, 10 minutes is enough, even at home.

Cheers!!

I have not tried her with cold game yet, will try this weekend.

Forgot to add and quite important, throw a stick (mainly) or dummy(small duck) in a pond and off she goes.

and she will do that lots of times and comes and sit's next to me waiting for the next retreive.

Cheers!!

I have not tried her with cold game yet, will try this weekend.

Forgot to add and quite important, throw a stick (mainly) or dummy(small duck) in a pond and off she goes.

and she will do that lots of times and comes and sit's next to me waiting for the next retreive.

NEVER THROW YOUR DOG A STICK.....UNLESS YOU HAVE PLENTY OFF MONEY T O PAY FOR YOUR VET BILL, Sticks can cause severe damage to dogs mouths, imagine you taking a stick back and it sticking in the ground at one end, you get the picture. :yes: some dogs even carry things THE LONG WAY, IE LENGTH WAYS,,,,,OUCH. :P Edited by mayfly36

If I have a young problem dog that will not pick up the dummy, I let them go for the retrieve and then send my trained dog out to"steal it" from under the younger dogs nose.

This has never failed me - probably based on the fact that although the younger dog doesn't want the dummy, it sure as hell doesn't want another dog to have it.

Be careful trying the cold game trick -as I have heard that some cockers will pick the bird -but then doesn't want to go back to retrieving balls / dummies.

Shame you're not closer because I'd have a go at helping you.

Cheers Pete