Using .22 HV with Moderator?

Frenchieboy

I was talking to a friend of my RFD the other day and he says that there is no problem using .22 High Velocity Rounds through a Parker Hale Moderator. I was always led to believe that if you fired .22 HV's through a moderator you stood a chance of burning out the baffles. Also, if you did use HV's with a moderator would it make much difference to the sound (I realise that you would still hear the "crack" just as you would with a .17 HMR)

Can anyone clarify the situation please?

P.S. If this would have been better under the "Ammunition" section maybe the mods could move it.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Yes it'll burn out the baffles, just like it does on the HMR, though the HMR will do it quicker.

You get a crack similar to that of thr HMR too, which is why most people use the HMR for the loud long shots, leaving the .22LR as the stealthy subsonic gun.

Someone I know uses supersonics solely in his .22 as he doesn't like the HMR (for some very odd reason :good: )