Wet,soggy and boggy

Topgunners

Saturday

First thing I did was travel to some stubble fields and put out a handful of pigeons. I got there about 30 minutes before dawn and sat and waited in the hope of some movement. About an hour later I spotted a fox coming down the hill 3 fields away. I started to call it and I managed to get it to about 400yards away, and it just stopped. It then stood; right up in the air and was having a good old sniff for about 10 minutes.

I watched it approach the hedgerow 2 fields out and watched and watched. Nothing. I don't know where it mooched off to but it did not reappear again.

I then drove across the other side of the county to some rape fields that were being battered by the pigeons on Friday. Upon arrival I was greeted by the farmer and he was a little bit surprised that I had turned up in the rain and gales that were sweeping his farm. I then drove down the track to the rape fields and not a lot were hitting them.

Most of the pigeons were flighting across the top of the fields and up into the wood behind. I watched for about 3/4 hr and then drove out of the farm; down the road and into the wood. I set up on the edge of the wood and had been sat for about 10 minutes and the rain chucked it down. It was another 30 mins or more before the first bird dropped. I sat it out till 3.00pm with a bag of 65 pigeons and 4 rooks.

Everything sopping wet, and in the jeep it all went. Yuk!!!

I dried off most of the gear inside the house; overnight, with the heating on. :good:

Sunday

I decided to try some different fields of rape today and on the way I spotted absolutely hundreds dropping into a field on a non-permission farm. I drove up the lane and knocked on the door, to be greeted by a very old lady who said her son farmed the land but he lived 20 mile away. I asked her if she could ring him and after 5 minutes or so chat with her son I was given the nod.

The birds were hitting one large, barren mud patch right in the middle of the field. They had laid a new load of pipework underground and so I set up opposite it. I had 2 pigeons straight away and then nothing for 2 hours. I then had a mad 10 minutes and dropped another 8 and that was it. The pigeons had moved off to way in the distance and were not returning.

More drizzling rain hit me relentlessly and I waited for a while after it stopped for the wind to dry out my netting. Picked up and drove to a farm whose owner had texted me saying a Basil had scoffed one of his chickens in the night and would I come over.

18 miles further out and as I drove up to the house it was like an NCP car park. He came out to explain it was his son's birthday party( hence all the cars). AAAAAAAAAAAGH.!!!!!!! What a waste of time this was going to be. I was dead right and left after 1 1/2 hours; promising to return one night this week.

Dave K

Good shooting saturday we was out with the ferrets today the rain and wind was awful but we had cracking day with easy bolting until the last bury held up for 30 mins with a hard dig but 5 rabbits up the stop.

Out shooting tomorrow Ive had 5 calls this weekend with customers asking me to shot there rape asap.

All the best

wet soggy and boggy indeed..

got the landcruiser stuck in soggy field yesterday, already had centre diff locked, but even with rear locked as well, still stuck

lucky i had enough cable and webbing strops to reach trees 35m away and used tirfor style handwinch to extract the truck from the mire,

took 45mins to get unstuck

but saved a walk of shame to the farm

managed 4 woodies - flightlining before that and a rabbit with the rimfire