Heel Work Problem

plexer

Any ideas for my 2 year old lab he's now real steady at stay, wait and retrieving a thrown dummy but heel is still a big problem.

I know it's because he's excited but everything else has gone in through repition but the heel just doesn't seem to. He's great on the way home as he knows he's had his run and then he is perfect.

Any tips on what I can try? I've tried walking the opposite direction and just stopping when he pulls away.

Plexer:

Sorry mate, I didn't see this one posted up.

When you start out heeling if he starts to pull turn 180 degrees and give a small pop on the lead. If he doesn't pull in that direction turn back a 18o degrees after 20 yards or so, if he does pull turn and pop. Continue turning and popping every time he forges ahead of you. The first couple of times out it may take you 30 minutes to go 100 yards but if you stick withit he will get the idea as to correct position.

Contact me if you need more info. See you on the23rd.

NTTF

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't seem to have had any affect on him at the moment but I must confess I don't do it all the time which I know I should so I will try harder it would be nice to be able to take him on longer walks but with him pulling all the time he doesn't go as far as I'd like to be able to take him.

Cheers,

Ben