new be needing help ....

wabit

What is really amazing is the amount of choice out there, to use a well worn cliche "when I was a boy" you had a main choice of BSA Airsporter or Webley MK3 as the top of the range underlever guns. Both companies made lesser guns with break barrels and have made others since. The choice available must be an indication of the popularity of airgunning which is interesting to see. I've still got my Airsporter along with a motley selection of other air guns including: Quackenbush .25 calibre, Original 25 in .20, 35 and 52 in .22, a .22 BSA that my late Father customised, an old pump up Crossman rifle, a Crossman pump up pistol and a Webley Premier .177 pistol. To be renovated an old BSA break barrel .177. Newer guns: 2 Webley Axsors in .22 and a Daystate MK3 Sport.

I guess I could qualify as having owned and used a fair number of air guns in my time, much to the dismay of the local rabbit population. Haven't personally joined a club as they weren't around when I started and I've not had real use of one since as I've got the experience to know what, where and when to shoot. I have given some thought to attending an FT range as this could be a bit of fun and a chance to meet other enthusiasts.

It must be a minefield for newcomers to the sport and the advice to get to a club is sound, we always had the guiding hand of an interested Father when we started out as young hooligans and soon learned gun safety, ettiquette and fieldcraft. It doesn't seem the same these days although I'm sure some of you guys out there are teaching your lads (and ladesses) to shoot safely and wisely.

I've stripped and fettled both of my Axsors and from an engineering point of view they are robust and soundly made, you will never tune them to wicked FAC levels but they are very proficient killers of small game and extremelt accurate. Not a fortune to pick up second hand, I'm selling one of mine to a forum member now that I've got the Daystate so you may shortly have a second opinion on the gun.

sorry wabit the message was ment to say my uncle has Not regreted buying the gun.

Logun guns are high quality and if i was gonna buy a pcp gun it would most proberbly be from logun. His logun gun is dead silent and perfect for hunting he has had great sucess with his .22 12ft/perpound gun

sorry about the error mate

Ant :D

Hi mate i was looking around at soem of the precharged guns and found a very nice logun gun :

http://www.airsportdirect.com/acatalog/Axsor.html

take alot at this gun its a nice gun and well worth the money i think it comes with a refill tank aswell and it has a great 8 shot magasine

good luck

:D Ant

The Logun Axsor looks slightly better than the Webley version, if it shoots as well as the Webley it will be a great buy !!!.

One thing to look out for if buying these second hand is that the barrel is not bent, if the owner is ham fisted it's a long, exposed, unsupported slim barrel that could be damaged if not looked after reasonably.

If hunting go for .22. stick Accupels through it and you'll have a grin big enough to split your face !!!

You will get more shots per charge from a .22 as it works more efficiently, won't shoot quite as flat as the .177 but you'll have great stopping power.

all i can add is echo what others have said, get a couple of the mags and check out the prices before you part with any money. when i bought my first airgun a few years ago i didnt check out the oprices and bought fropm local gun shop and ended up paying £100 more than could have bought from the mags.

another couple of decent web shops depending on what rifle your looking at:

S400 walnut £330 S410 walnut £446 HERE!

daystate MK3 FT/RT £895 +free gifts HERE!!!

two companys i have never heard of any troubles with have dealt with the first and know many that have had good deals with no problems with the second.

ROB :D

One thing to look out for if buying these second hand is that the barrel is not bent, if the owner is ham fisted it's a long, exposed, unsupported slim barrel that could be damaged if not looked after reasonably.

that 's why i like the s410 it has the support, for that very reson if the rifle gets knocked....

i'v olso looked at the BSA superten mkII bull barrel. i read the review in the target sport mag august 05 and it had a good right up.. theres 3 thing i like about it

1. the safty fichers it has

2. the internal regulater... wich corect me if am wrong keep the shoot the same power out put as the fist shoot untill there's not inuff air, 150 shoot in 22 calibre carbine. and approximatley 120 in 177. and for the standerd full lengh 200 in 22 and the same in 177. and i dont think the AA s410 has this (regulator that is)..

3.the loading of the rifle... and the safty ficher it has( if ya dont pull the cocking lever back fully and a pellet has been insearted into the barrel the triger dead locks wich is good news for the rabbit but bad news 4 me :*)

i could go on what i read about it but thes are the 3 things wich stud out when reading the articale...

Edited by wabit

Wat ever rifle you decide to choose make sure u check it up on

http://www.reviewcentre.com/

a great website were people reveiw there items. Just were the [search] icon is on the website type in[ air rifles] and a list of all makes of air rifles comes up. Its great because you get to know about the air rifle you migth purchase by people who have already purchased the gun.

Ant :D

yes the S10 is a decent rifle but it is very easy to double load a pellet in these :/ ther eis a knack to it, just i not worked it out yet :/ and belive me double loadoing a rifle in the field is the last thing you want to do!!!!! another thing im not too keen on about the S10 with a bipod fiotted it can be a little nose heavy (not that this matters at all when using the bipod)

the main advantage that the S10 has over the s410 is the number of shots but i dont know too many people who can carry 200+ rabbits LOL would still go for the S410 given a choice of the two, easy and quiet to cock and just has a better feel to it.

If you want high shots with a regulated rifle have a look at the Rapid 7/17 or the MFR both from theoben, just my opinion but i think they are both better rifles than the S10

2. the internal regulater... wich corect me if am wrong keep the shoot the same power out put as the fist shoot untill there's not inuff air, 150 shoot in 22 calibre carbine. and approximatley 120 in 177. and for the standerd full lengh 200 in 22 and the same in 177. and i dont think the AA s410 has this (regulator that is)..

In a magazine I was reading ( I do a lot of this when waiting for the wife :D ) in smiths a well recognised reviewer (who the more I read of, the more respect I give him) says that these days we worry about things that let's face it don't matter that much for the shooting most of us do. He mentions regulators. If a gun varies 15ft/sec(I believe that was the figure, but feel free to correct) then we get all worried. Infact unless high grade target shooting that figure is not much at all! He reckons that regulators are not a waste of time but not that necessary. If you go out hunting with an 80 shot capacity rifle then how many people take 80 shots?

Chances are you back at the car long before then!

If you are plinking, keep an eye on the gauge and refill before it becomes an issue.

What are everyone elses opinions?

THE ABOVE IS TAKEN FROM MEMORY. PLEASE FEEL TO CORRECT ANY MISTAKES I HAVE MADE, (AS LONG YOU HAVE READ THE ARTICLE :/ )

The S10 CAN be a good gun BUT I know many folk who've HAD one and moved onto something-else. The regulator in the S10 is not overly reliable and power can vary. They are also very heavy. Lovely triggers though and a nice flat scope rail fo rNV mounting if you so wish. There's only 1 safely feature to rely on however and that's good gun control. Relying on a mechanism isn't a good idea. No problem in having them and using them but they're not a substitute for proper control. Don't rely on anything the magasines tell you - every gun is great according to them as they are too reliant on the advertisers for income.

snakebite that only addresses one purpouse of the regulator.

the other purpose is the slightly more important use for it, as the name sugests it regulates the amount of air getting behind the pellet which means yes every shot will be almost the same as the shot before, but it also means that very little air is wasted so all the air in the resevoir can be used to power pellets which can give you 50-100% more shots per charge over an unregulated rifle.

e.g. theoben Rapid 7 280cc buddy bottle at 300bar= 250 shots

Theoben MFR 200cc buddy bottle 232bar=250 shots

Air Arms S400 .177 80 shots

regulated version 160 shots (using ben taylor reg)

that is what makes the use of a regulator so popular.

ROB:)

The 160 shots were IIRC from very dubious advice to fill well above the 190 bar manufacturers max. Being regged it'll work just fine at almost any pressure above reg pressure but these cylinders blow at 230 bar so there's precious room for anything above the makers max. Filling to 190 gives approx 110-120 shots in a .177 classic IIRC. Air is cheap though and about a dozen rabbits is all I really fancy lugging at any one time.

nope was a standard S400 carbine filled to 190 bar with Ben Taylor reg fitted, have to admit i didnt see the rifle myself (had a day away from the club when it came down :/) But at the time it was the first rifle (or at least the best rifle) they had fitted the reg to, so it was a sort of show case rifle. I doubt that every reg they fit would give the same results but I would be very suprised (as would others) if you didnt get a minimum of 75% more shots out of a S400 classic or carbine.

PS anyone filling a rifle beyond the recomended fill pressure is an accident waiting to happen.

the other purpose is the slightly more important use for it, as the name sugests it regulates the amount of air getting behind the pellet which means yes every shot will be almost the same as the shot before, but it also means that very little air is wasted

I can see that now! Didn't think about that.

Thanks for the info.

Of course, if you're a strong lad, you could buy my old TX200HC with Simmons 3-9 X40 deerfield scope and my slightly dodgy silencer. Cheap as chips and twice as tasty for £180.... Now I've bought a new toy from Old_Rooster, I might not have the time to keep it exercised. I live near you 'an all.

:lol:

http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn04043sy.jpg

Edited by Evilv

Hello chaps :lol:

I might be wrong but i'm sure I was told that the action,barrel,&air storage part on the webley fx2000 the air arms s410 and the logun(cant remember witch model) was all the same and all came out the same factory, (axor ?)

wabbit Ive got a AA S410 .22 and I'm well happy with it,

its light , accurate, easy to use,easy to fill with air, comes with a 10 shot mag, ideal for targets and hunting, It' grate I love it :*) , but thats just my oppinion.

the only thing I would change about this gun is it has no safety catch. :lol: . but im sure I read that the new ones have got safety catches on them.

I had a air arms tx200 and it was like a lump of lead when your carrying it about.

good luck with whatever you purchase mate & I hope you have many happy hours shooting with it..............kipper :lol:

I might be wrong but i'm sure I was told that the action,barrel,&air storage part on the webley fx2000 the air arms s410 and the logun(cant remember witch model) was all the same and all came out the same factory, (axor ?)

The Webley and a number of Loguns are all made by FX airguns of Sweeden. The AA S400/S410 is a completely different animal and is made by Air Arms. The barrels are similar in that they're Walther units. Very few airgun makers make their own barrels. Anschutz, Walther, BSA and korean are the main barrel makers. China also makes barrels.

all i can say is this guy is a complete muppet! but will ask a few questions at the club tomorro to find out soem rpesise figures about the S4** reg system, from the guy that had the first one done in his hands.

rember the quick fill rapids that a certain gunsmith was fitting? well everyone said "well theoben recons they are ok, so they must be good" not everything you hear is true.

with regards to standard fittings, one thing i would absolutly love to see would be just one standard quick fill adapotor :lol: (but we can still dream :lol:)

ROB :lol:

thanx once agen you lot for all your help...

but i got a second hand super 10 to day....

very nice feel to it and abit hevy but with a sling it should be ok when out in the wood....

the rifel is fited with a bipod. tasco scopes and the stock is in real tree camo and comes with a silencer... oooo and i for got to add it's in 22 cal and it has a 200 cc bottel

my next topice will be pump or scoba tank....

i was only going in to have a chat to him as hes an old friend of me dads and he just so hapend to have the gun sat on his lap cleaing it up to put on the rack with the otheres....

inuff chit chat time to get me self ready to go out tonight :lol:

thanx wabit

Edited by wabit

Wouldn't have been my choice but each to their own. As to a pump or scuba tank. Look at most pumps that come up secondhand - they are invariably almost new as the owner is getting rid in favour of a tank. Save money and buy a tank to start with. Get the biggest size 300 bar you can manage. Your gun fills to 232 bar so anything less is part filling from fill one. If using a pump you'll be knackered after pumping a 200cc bottle - too knackered to shoot straight so you'll need to plan your shooting in advance and pump the night before. A pump also puts a LOT of moisture into a gun. Dive shop compressors remove the bulk of the moisture - the piddly little traps on a pump don't.

thanx 1 of 5 ....

i had the gun out on monday and am realy happy with it baged me self 8 bunnys, one thing i have notised is i much quiter then me springer and hardly any recol

there was one thing wrong with it tho i could load shot 9 n 10 there was some thing wrong with the mag, so i when back to the shop and gave it to tom to have a look at it and he keeped the gun over night to look at. (next day i went back) he sed the pin in the midle of the mag was loss and insted of fixing it he gave me a new mag wich he had liying around. and hay presto prob fixed (got it for free so i was't complaning)

Edited by wabit