Brass Cases

OK yet another question!

What kind of brass are brass shotgun cases made from? Does the grade/type matter significantly?

Secondly anyone got a source of brass cases or drawings to make your own?

Even if some one has some kicking round I would be greatful of borrowing one as a template and am happy to throw a couple of home made ones in, in return for the loan of one to copy :-)

Thanks in advance

Edited by MadMatt1979

With brass cases peter lawman sells them for £10-95 for 25 12 bore or 5-95 for 2 1/2" 410 for 25 ,Its not even worth sharpening/profiling a tool to turn them at those prices , I have done it just to see if it can be done and was very satisfied with the results but that was for one off's, I would not even contemplate doing 25 off.

Edited by Andy H

I have a load of brass 10 bore cases which I still use.

I originally machined them myself as college work during my apprenticeship over 20 years ago....... They sat unused until a few years ago when I bought my first 10 bore.

Be warned though, brass cases cannot be used with the school of Non toxic shot which falls into the category of 'Non compressables'.

i.e Hevi shot or steel.

They can be only really used with lead,Bismuth or the new 'ITX' shot. The brass will not take the pressure and fragmentate up your barrel along with the shot.......

Here are some pictures with conventional cases for comparison

post-4462-1259542342.jpg

post-4462-1259542379.jpg

Edited by starlight32