decoy positioning

foghorn

Hi Chaps,

my new decoys should be with me early next week and all things being equal i will get my new shotgun Friday.

So my question, as a new pigeon shooter is how far out do you put the magnet and is it central to the decoy horseshoe ? what is the best place to put a flapper? and should i use the magnet at the same time as the flapper.

All advice greatly received.

FOGHORN :lol:

you will know when your pattern is right and when to use the magnet and when not to i have had just as many good days with out the magnet as i have using it over the last few years it's all about field craft you need to get out and do some pigeon watching look for flight lines in and out of the field then decide were to place your deecoys it will all come to you as you do more shooting :unsure:

i usually start by placing the rotary nearer the head of the U which is ideally closest to me but to one side slightly. i have found that if it is too near the centre i.e killing zone it can put the birds of fully committing and can also get in the way. with a flapper i would usualy include this in a gap in the stationary decoys slightly out of the kill zone or at the back of one of the legs of the U. however i have had days where my rotary has either been taken in or even had it in a field behind to show the birds a bit of movement for them to then see the main pattern and commit. However as you will quickly learn you have to play it as it comes and remember that not all of the gear is essential and sometimes to rest a piece of equipmt is the best thing. many people have shot many pigeons over just stationary plastic deeks or less. Good luck