I need to know

Dunkield

Ok I don't know much (if anything at all) about air rifles, had a BSA Meteor as a kid and that is about all. Excuses out the way!

I was looking at a rifle test in Shooting Sports and saw an FT rifle with a 5 port muzzle break, can someone please tell me why an FT Rifle would a need muzzle brake??

I have shot .223 and .308 with brakes and I could feel it made a difference (just annoyed people either side at the range!) I also shot a .375 which could have done with one - but a .177 air rifle weighing 10lbs or more???

Edited by stuartp

There is a full write up and explanation in this months AirGun magazine. I looked at it briefly and will not attempt to pretend that I now know it all but it is something to do with elimanating any recoil and barrel movement. It does this by allowing all excess air to bleed through the vents.

It may seem a little excessive but when you are trying to THAT accurate then anything can make a difference!

Don't bother fitting one to a springer as it will not make a blind bit of difference!!

Hope this helps and for the full info best read the mag! :huh:

Muzzle brakes / muzzle flip compensators work differently in air rifles. They're not primarily there to reduce recoil. Basically they have a reverse cone inside with a very small hole thro for the pellet. Typically 4.7mm for a 4.5 mm rifle. The pellet leaves the barrel and almost immediatly enters the hole in the cone. Leaving the air to expand / travel up the outside of the cone and is then vented thro holes or slots. The pellet then leaves the cone travelling in clear air with any trailing blast that may disturb the flight in the first few centimetres of travel stripped off by the cone.

Some units have the holes or slots facing upward. This does reduce the tiny bit of muzzle flip that pcp's have. But... it happens after the pellet has gone so it's only effect is to aid visual follow through after the shot.

Hope that helps ...

Tony

It's primary purpose on an air rifle is to stop muzzle fip. Whilst it's hardly excessive on a pcp stopping it gives you a far better chance to watch the pellet fly and land. For target work if you can see where you missed you have a better chance to correct the next shot.

I'd say that was an additional bonus not it's primary purpose. The primary purpose is to strip the pellet of trailing air blast that potentially has a de-stabalising effect in the first few centimetres of flight. Thus improving accuracy.

Regards

Tony