using chokes for pigeons

wrighty

I'm just applying for a SGC after about seven or eight years layoff where I've just been airgun hunting. I'm only intending getting one gun as I won't be using it that much. It will mainly be used for pigeons over deeks, Corvids, and for any invites I get for walking up rabbits and duck flighting. I'm pretty much set on either 1/4 and 1/2, or 1/2 and 3/4 chokes based on my previous experience. However, I have absolutely no experience of steel shot. Does steel shot affect the chokes?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it does sort of follow on.

Guest cookoff013

i always use too much choke. but its not its fault i`m not hitting anything.

i stick with 1/2-3/4 for the sporter. full for the pump. and 1/2 and full for the sxs.

believe it or not, if you `can` decoy, 1/4 is all thats needed.

1/4 isnt the best choke. there isnt one. personal taste really.

hi there lads, rite then so what should i put in my new semi-Auto i just bought, the bloke in the shop said leave the skeet choke in there, because thats whats already in the gun, even thogh it cam with multiple chokes, cheers all HH

If the gun is new, forget this, but if it's new to you and me being a cynical old ******, just check to make sure that the skeet choke comes out.

Cheers

Full choke is rubish for pigeons it turns them inside out nothing left but soggy mess

Personally, I don't go up one degree of choke, but two. Say, imp by 1/2 or 1/4 by 3/4. Assuming 1 1/16 oz of 6s, one degree will give you just 15 extra pellets. In an average pattern killing area there will be room for the vital area of 30 pigeons so not too much will be gained. As said, full choke is such that in order to "give it lore" you can only use it at the more extended ranges.

Cheers

Guest cookoff013
Full choke is the favourite amongst the guns I shoot Pigeons with, but I don't recommend it for clays.

some shoots i`ve been to, more / full choke has been a must. on edge batues at extreme distances. often in a teal presentation. mini (yes mini 3"clays, not midi) being sent really out there. it can fly right through the pattern !

for normal sporting 1/2 and 3/4 is more than adequate though.

wouldnt genrally go tighter