springer stopped picking up

country-bumpkin

right i really have a problem with my 16m old ess bitch. she as stopped picking up about 5 weeks ago and she will not for love nore money pick up any thing i have tired all sorts to encourage her am lost with her and don't no where to go from her i Carnot afford proper lessons every thing else is spot on in her training so help is needed any hints or tips to get her picking up would be great

we was out training usual thing using standard dummies/rugby ball type dummy plane and covered dummies to give variety

she was getting really good at retrieving blind retrieving after that i moved on to cold birds and rabbits just the same fine no problem took her out one day shooting had a few rabbits picked up fine few days later she never picked up again dummies cold birds rabbits warm kill nothing she just looks at me when i throw a dummy or runs in opp direction i can not think what i have done wrong am at a lost with her .boredom sprang to mind but she as stopped picking up anything had her to vets with her mouth but she fine

we was out training usual thing using standard dummies/rugby ball type dummy plane and covered dummies to give variety

she was getting really good at retrieving blind retrieving after that i moved on to cold birds and rabbits just the same fine no problem took her out one day shooting had a few rabbits picked up fine few days later she never picked up again dummies cold birds rabbits warm kill nothing she just looks at me when i throw a dummy or runs in opp direction i can not think what i have done wrong am at a lost with her .boredom sprang to mind but she as stopped picking up anything had her to vets with her mouth but she fine

Did you do any retrieving after the shot rabbits and when she would not pick up again?

NTTF

You never know forsure without having been there and seen it,but I'm tipping that she may be confused due to the different retrieve articles being used. Normally you don't want to increase possesive tendencies in retrievers, but as you are in this position it can't do any harm. Here's a few ideas;

1. Get a tennis ball and when you are out with the dog bounce it against the ground and catch it. If the dog shows interest tease her with it, but don't let her have it. Bounce it on the blind side so she can't get to it. Keep bouncing it and teasing her until she's absolutely crazy for it then let her intercept it. As soon as she's got it, chase her and pretend to try and get it off her. If this works then repeat until she's reliably chasing the 'dropped' ball and keeping hold of it.

2. Same thing, but put a tennis ball down then circle it around 2 feet from it whilst staring constantly at the ball. Crouch down a little and move your shoulders side to side with your arms outstretched so your hands move back and forward. Maintain your concentration on the ball. Once the dog shows interest creep slowly and deliberately up to the ball as though going to pick it up. Hopefully she will snatch it from you. If she does, chase her and pretend to try and get it off her.

3. If the above works then once she is fetching the ball try introducing another dog to impart some competition. The other dog needs to be keen to retrieve, but not aggresive. Initially hold dog 2 back until your dog has set off after the ball, then let the other dog go. Gradually decrease the hold time after throwing. Once your dog can be seen to be racing the other dog start to introduce some other types of retrieve articles. Not before.

Best of luck.

You never know forsure without having been there and seen it,but I'm tipping that she may be confused due to the different retrieve articles being used. Normally you don't want to increase possesive tendencies in retrievers, but as you are in this position it can't do any harm. Here's a few ideas;

1. Get a tennis ball and when you are out with the dog bounce it against the ground and catch it. If the dog shows interest tease her with it, but don't let her have it. Bounce it on the blind side so she can't get to it. Keep bouncing it and teasing her until she's absolutely crazy for it then let her intercept it. As soon as she's got it, chase her and pretend to try and get it off her. If this works then repeat until she's reliably chasing the 'dropped' ball and keeping hold of it.

2. Same thing, but put a tennis ball down then circle it around 2 feet from it whilst staring constantly at the ball. Crouch down a little and move your shoulders side to side with your arms outstretched so your hands move back and forward. Maintain your concentration on the ball. Once the dog shows interest creep slowly and deliberately up to the ball as though going to pick it up. Hopefully she will snatch it from you. If she does, chase her and pretend to try and get it off her.

3. If the above works then once she is fetching the ball try introducing another dog to impart some competition. The other dog needs to be keen to retrieve, but not aggresive. Initially hold dog 2 back until your dog has set off after the ball, then let the other dog go. Gradually decrease the hold time after throwing. Once your dog can be seen to be racing the other dog start to introduce some other types of retrieve articles. Not before.

Best of luck.

I agree, tease to encourage retrieving.... do not correct running in and do not issue any sort of recall, just get the dog lifting something. ATB.

I wouldn't be talking about a few weeks but much longer.

The shooting season is now over with the odd exception.

The more you try to get her to retrieve and fail the more you reinforce the fact that she will not do it.

There is obviously an issue that has caused this but there will be no quick fix. You are unaware of what caused it so do not know how to reverse it.

Put her away and let the issue fade from her memory and the start all over again very very slowly right from scratch, that is probably your best chance of over coming the problem.

If you keep plugging away and keep failing it will become almost irreversible.

thanks peeps for the help am going to do what beechessam and uk poacher as recomended start back at begining and with the tennis ball

i started to day but she didnt want to know the ball at all kept looking away when i showed her it looks like its going to take some time

i will post every month to let you know how she doing but if you would like to say something that my help please do

thanks peeps for the help am going to do what beechessam and uk poacher as recomended start back at begining and with the tennis ball

i started to day but she didnt want to know the ball at all kept looking away when i showed her it looks like its going to take some time

i will post every month to let you know how she doing but if you would like to say something that my help please do

My guess is the dog got kicked by a rabbit and is now refusing to pick up for fear of it happening again

As jason said prob rabbit kick in face.

tennis balls dont seem to work well this sounds daft but works.

Get 3 or 4 of your used SOCKS roll fist one up then use others to make dummy,

by putting over first and folding back

they love socks use in hall and big fuss on return.

dont go back to dummies dead rabbits for a whie stick with socks

More interested to know why the dog ain't working at this stage instead of what, inanimate, will work for getting it back to retrieving.

Gundogs don't just go off their retrieving, and a "rabbit kick" would be catnip to most gundogs. They love the rough and tumble. My 27-pound spaniel took out a fox two nights ago and didn't wait for it to expire before retrieving it. So Bumpkin, Dan's asked about the interim between the last day of rabbiting and when retrieving was next attempted with no interest from the dog. What say thee?

Also, "stopped picking up"--is that meaning the dog was actually picking up on shoots, or just picking up whatever--inanimate objects or cold game--it was asked?

MG

Exactly as I said the handler does not know why the dog stopped. Unless this is known he will struggle to over come the problem as he does not know the cause.

Time off then start from scratch, we all like a holiday and so do our dogs.

In time memories will fade but, nothing breeds sucess like sucess but if you keep failing all you will do is endorse and ingrain the behaviour.

Take a break!

Edited by Beechessam

More interested to know why the dog ain't working at this stage instead of what, inanimate, will work for getting it back to retrieving.

Gundogs don't just go off their retrieving, and a "rabbit kick" would be catnip to most gundogs. They love the rough and tumble. My 27-pound spaniel took out a fox two nights ago and didn't wait for it to expire before retrieving it. So Bumpkin, Dan's asked about the interim between the last day of rabbiting and when retrieving was next attempted with no interest from the dog. What say thee?

Also, "stopped picking up"--is that meaning the dog was actually picking up on shoots, or just picking up whatever--inanimate objects or cold game--it was asked?

MG

A rabbit kick to a sensitive bitch will not be like catnip and can and will put some dogs of retrieving or it can also make them a bit hard mouthed probably like your one with the fox

Now Jason, :good: I said "retrieved before it had expired," thus while still alive," not half-eaten or chewed on whilst still alive. (I.e., no hardmouthing yet detected with any of my spaniels, from goose wingbeating or "kick" between the eyes

100_0814.jpg

nor anything else

100_0839.jpg

Reckon it would be a mighty sensitive spaniel to the point of skittishness to be put off retrieving by a rabbit. Don't really think taking a "holiday" from retrieving is the answer, either, but it could let the handler and dog clear their heads a little.

MG

Most dogs love tennis balls yes this is not most dogs got a retrieve prob at mo i suggested using in hall no grass there

feel free to disagree but this works

I'm sure it works 99.99% of the time. The problem here is trying to encourage the dog to overcome its reluctance to pick up anything in its mouth. It has to want to pick up the object. Play may do it, and a ball will stimulate play to a greater extent than a sock dummy. I'm not saying that a sock dummy is not a good way of training. Just maybe not as good for this situation IMO.

At the end of the day, what works for the dog in question is the right method. It might not work for the next dog with identical symptoms, but it is right if it works on this one. That's what makes training so frustrating and at the same time fascinating.