Steel Cartridges in a Miroku 7000

whitep

Due to the age of the gun I very much doubt it will be steel shot prooved. You need to take the forend off and have a look at the proof marks. If iit has been steel proofed it will have a fleur-di-lis on each barrel.

I strongly suggest that you do not use steel in it if it has no marks, guns that are proofed for steel are done so at a much higher pressure than those just for lead. You could have it steel shot proofed however, I think its about £70

Finally dont use anything tighter than half choke as an absolute maximum to prevent unecessary damage

If you use steel in a Miroku 7000 you will at least scatch the inside of the barrels. The guns were not set up for steel.

I`v seen quite a few of the older guns that were in nice condition but were ruined by steel.

I have a friend who is also an instructor in Finland and they have thousands of ruined guns over there because they have to use only steel by law. He also says that it has killed all the trees around all the gun clubs.

Thats total rubbish mate!

How so?

There are two types of steel load. Standard and high performance.

Standard loads can be used through standard and magnum proofed guns. High performance can only be used in guns with a higher proof rating and using the fleur de lys symbol.

However i would agree that there seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes a 'standard' steel load. Personally i check the proof rating of the cartridge (usually on the side of the box) against the proof markings on the gun, and keep within those parameters.

To the OP, Why are you thinking of switching to steel?

If you use steel in a Miroku 7000 you will at least scatch the inside of the barrels. The guns were not set up for steel.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought steel loads were fully enclosed in a cup and therefore should not scratch any barrel unless the cup was damaged?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought steel loads were fully enclosed in a cup and therefore should not scratch any barrel unless the cup was damaged?

yes and no ..... steel cups r bigger like u said ... but some shot does leave the gun before the cup .... hence leaving a non-steel proofed gun with the shot-blasted pimple effect and ruining the barrel ... just sell the gun ( if steel is a must ) and buy another .

• 5 years later...

Due to the age of the gun I very much doubt it will be steel shot prooved. You need to take the forend off and have a look at the proof marks. If iit has been steel proofed it will have a fleur-di-lis on each barrel.

I strongly suggest that you do not use steel in it if it has no marks, guns that are proofed for steel are done so at a much higher pressure than those just for lead. You could have it steel shot proofed however, I think its about £70

Finally dont use anything tighter than half choke as an absolute maximum to prevent unecessary damage

All Invector, Invector + chokes guns can use standard and advanced steel shot. This is confirmed by Browning/Miroku. They would not advise use of steel shot through Invector chokes if the GUN was not capable of handling the load. The pellets are soft steel and significantly softer than chromed barrels, so scoring is not really a problem. The fleur-de-lis marking is not significant when it comes to Browning shotguns with factory fitted Invector chokes.

Check out http://www.browning.eu/products/techdata/steel_shot.html