Broken Knife

sambu13

Ive got a stellar sabatier fm santoku kitchen knife, which i have recently taken several sizable chunks out of tackling a home reared chicken carcass. My question is how easy would it be to change it into a smaller bush craft style knife. its got quite a thick back edge but i dont know anyhting about this sort of thing, any help would be great.

This is a picture off the net.

Cheers

post-11731-1267993316.jpg

If you want to regrind the shape of the blade you'll have to go really slowly with some water at hand to keep the blade cool so it wont lose its temper, or if it does you could do the heat treat again, but it's probably stainless and for a bushcraft type knife carbon steel would be better. But that's down to opinion really.

I think il give it a go, at worst il end up with a rough blade for rough jobs. it says its surgical steel, is that carbon or stainless. its a pretty good knife £70 new, got if from tk maxx for 15 though so not too worried.

Cheers for the replies so far.

hi sambu try going to your local butcher and see if he has got a electric water stone and not the belt grinder type sharpener then ask him to do it, iam a butcher have been for 30 years and have had loads of customer asking me to sort there ruined knives out for them, i allways help out like most butchers i know, and if he dose drop him a bottle of red or something for doing it and you will have a freind for life

colin

I think il give it a go, at worst il end up with a rough blade for rough jobs. it says its surgical steel, is that carbon or stainless. its a pretty good knife £70 new, got if from tk maxx for 15 though so not too worried.

Cheers for the replies so far.

Surgical steel would be stainless so it wont tarnish.