My first HFT Competition

Reg Booty

I am off to my first HFT Competition this Sunday which is situated in North Oxon, just wandering if anyone else here is involved in this Competition as well ?

Quite looking forward to it, but the lack of shooting upwards down the club will be put to test ! ( I am assuming that at the HFT there will be targets placed in trees and things ! )

RB

Thanks Snakebite.......

Seargant, is that a good score ? Its all new to me, so I have no idea of scoring etc......

Last night at the club, I chrono'd my S400 and it was running at 10.1 and this was the first time i had tested it. We tried to increase the power by the usual method but it would not rise. :lol:

One of the members suggested i wound the grub screw in fully then fire a blank shot. Then start to wind it out again, say half a turn a time whilst using a chrono to see if it starts to rise - but this did not work either....!?!?!? :lol:

Is this usual for the S400 ? I am sure that the power level is fine, but it would be nice to achieve 11.2-11.4

No one at my club could give a reason or indication as to why it would not increase. In fact we had to stop becuase the grub screw wound so far out that you were'nt able to replace the security screw back again.

Its just a matter of principle really, we have the law of 12flbs - it would be nice to achieve safe max out of my rifle.... :D

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

RB

Reg I have never tried HFT but would imagine logic has alot to play here. Regardless of your power output the rifle will behave in a particular way. The skill is too interpret the rifles ability and adjust to compensate. In order to find your sweet spot, your going to have to fire alot of pellets through a chrono from full charge through. This will give you your power curve and you can then determine your 'Sweet Spot' i.e. the flatest area on the curve. Personally I would fill over the relevant pressure then fire a couple of shots to bring it down to the sweet spot. Its kinda like filling a car tyre, you always measure after letting air out not in.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Axe

Reg I have never tried HFT but would imagine logic has alot to play here. Regardless of your power output the rifle will behave in a particular way. The skill is too interpret the rifles ability and adjust to compensate. In order to find your sweet spot, your going to have to fire alot of pellets through a chrono from full charge through. This will give you your power curve and you can then determine your 'Sweet Spot' i.e. the flatest area on the curve. Personally I would fill over the relevant pressure then fire a couple of shots to bring it down to the sweet spot. Its kinda like filling a car tyre, you always measure after letting air out not in.

Hope this helps.

Every gun is SLIGHTLY different. BUT...........

I cheated, I got a PDF file from a chap off the BBS website who had done all the hard work for me! This file contained the info on EVERY shot from 190Bar to empty. The sweet spot is as described above.

The filling to 175 Bar and taking 40 shots is the accepted norm from the users of that gun on that forum.

I just took their advice and it works for me.

If you want the info it was in the thread "s410 power curve" (I think that was what I called it!). I would post a link but don't know how!!

It is better to understand than to do beacuse thats what your told to do. There i also one other principal here which is: we all chrono our guns to make sure we are within the legal tolerance. This then reassures us that the gun is safe. Until a check is done on the power curve how could you be 100% that yout rifle is performing as per your PDF file or the manufacturers guidlines. Reg has already mentioned being down on power.

I think this is the thread you meant Snakebite :oops:

Aa 410 Owners

Edited by Axe

I am off to my first HFT Competition this Sunday which is situated in North Oxon, just wandering if anyone else here is involved in this Competition as well ?

Quite looking forward to it, but the lack of shooting upwards down the club will be put to test ! ( I am assuming that at the HFT there will be targets placed in trees and things ! )

RB

Good luck with your first HFT comp... it's great fun and very addictive !

North Oxon's a nice place to shoot too... visited there for the first time this year and a lovely wood they have to shoot in.

For HFT dont get too stressed about being on the nose with power though, as previously stated it's more to do with knowing your rifles trajectory perfectly than absolute power. Both my and my sons HFT rifles are set at a conservative 11 ft lbs. Chrono tests are common on HFT shoots and a baking hot summers day can up the power of a pcp by half a ft lb... catching out those that run close to the limit.

As to the up tree shots (yep there will be a few of them) a quick tip is to remember gravity, which makes the pellet drop, only has an affect on the horizontal distance not the actual distance the the target. They're the same shooting a target on the flat but a target way up a tree can be farther to the target than the horizontal distance to the target. So estimate your range to the base of the tree (the horizontal distance) and shoot the target is if it was that far away even though way up the tree the actual distance between you and the target is much further.

Again as others have advised it's worth shooting a full series from full to refill pressure both to assertain power variation and find the sweet spot in the curve for your rifle.

Hove fun and good luck with the comp !

Regards

Tony

Aa 410 Owners

Nope not even close!

As mentioned above it was called "power curve on a S410" (or there abouts) and was started by me.

It about a month old now so do a search!

It is better to know what your own gun is doing but to take the leg work out of it and get a good idea of what your gun is theoretically doing then this is a good place to start.

As I do not own a chrono then this was my only option.

Edited by SNAKEBITE

Aa 410 Owners

Nope not even close!

As mentioned above it was called "power curve on a S410" (or there abouts) and was started by me.

It about a month old now so do a search!

Enough already, learn to put the links up Snakey :lol::lol:

Copy the entire link from the address bar in your browser. Then when writing your post click on the http:// button and paste the address link in the first box. Click OK then enter a name for the link and click ok....presto your link will appear in your post.

S410K Combro Charts

Edited by Axe