Working out gun-fit yourself

How can you tell if your gun really 'fits' you? I bring it up into to my shoulder and tilt my head forward slightly and it seems all well and good. Don't tilt my head at all to the side. Also it hits where I point it.

This is the same for my other gun, yet you can see the dimensions are different, and I hit less with it. It still mounts nicely and shoots where I point it.

So how can you tell if it 'fits'. You can get used to a gun and make it fit, but is it then worth getting a gun fit, as then you're shooting with an unfamiliar one?

Is there a way of doing it yourself?

Cheers :good:

If you are having to tilt your head then the gun doesn't fit you. When standing correctly the gun should come up in exactly the same place over and over again. If your other gun has different dimensions then it cannot fit you the same as the first one.

You should be able to dry mount the gun with your eyes closed and when you open your eyes you are looking straight down the rib. If you dry mount in front of a mirror then you should see you right eye (if right handed) directly behind the rib.

All guns will hit where they are pointed, the whole idea of gun fit is they point where you are looking. Two guns with different dimensions cannot do this with the same person.

I don't tilt my head sideways though. Just nod forward a bit. It comes up to the same place nicely as I always shoot gun down and mount at the last minute.

I see all my eye and none of my cheek in the mirror which is the general rule of thumb. The gun is very comfy to use and what have you and I hit a lot.

But I wonder does it actually fot or have I just got used to it etc... As a only a small amount of factory guns are supposed to just fit.

Probably sounds a bit stupid but I just wondered how necessary a fit is if you can adapt to a gun, or whether you can't make a non-fitting gun work, and I was just lucky getting one that seems to fit.

:good:

I am sure you can adapt to a gun that doesn't fit but gun fit is everything. Guns are usually made to a manufacturers set of dimensions of what they consider the average person to be.

If you are fatter/thinner/taller/shorter/ etc etc than these then the gun won't fit you. It may be close and that is where you adapt to it. If it is too short or too low then you will quickly strat getting knocked about by it.