Whipets

Anthony.D

Hello All,

I there any one out there who ca help please, I have bee asked by a friend who was a 9 month old whippet for help. [from a puppy]

It will not come to recall and plays with other dogs by pinning them down a nipping their throats.

I have a spaniel which I think I have trained OK with the wonderfull help of J, Irvine's training spaniels book. I do not feel that confident in giving advice.

Will,

1. running away etc. Will getting down low and making a big fuss work.

2. giving it a shake at the point of disobeidience etc. work.

3. Doing all this where ther are no distractions [where possible]

4.etc.

Help.

It also jumps up on her kitchen work-tops.

Before I give any advice which may be wrong, can anyone give any advice, she just wants a nice well behaved pet, not a working dog. She has taken it to obedience classes, but it has been bannned for mis-behaving!

Any othe tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anthony

Edited by Anthony.D

Don't ask me the workings of a female mind.

As for the obedience class, well yes they do sound good don't they.

I'm going to go out with her this weekend and try to give what little advice I can offer. I think Joe Irvine's book has some excellent points that she can 'pick the bones out of'.

Has anyone else any experience with whippets?

When I used to take the lurcher to training classes, we ended up outside practicising by ourselves most weeks! Whistle training has completely changed his recall. Before, it was very hit or miss. Sometimes he would come if there was nothing else to sniff or play with. Get some very tasty treats like hotdogs and lots of praise. Tell him to come, give three shorts pips on the whistle and when they come, lots of praise and treats. The good thing about the whistle is that it travels further and it does not give away your frustration in your voice.

Jumping up needs to be nipped in the bud. The trouble is you need to catch them in the act and tell them off. Some people will disagree but they are not gundogs and a good shaking and dragging by the scruff in my opinion is not the way forward. I tried this and mine started to get scared and not come near me. They are sensitive dogs. Get hold of them by all means but not too roughly.

Thanks for the help,

I saw the dog today and he seemed lovely. It seems the problems are not as I was first told. They are basically

1. He 'attacks' small dogs and pins them down by the throat, this causes the owner great distress due to the very annoyed owners of the other dogs - understandably. He gets on really well with all other dogs ( could be he has come from a working strain, he does look rather big for a whippet - moe a small lurcher)

I suggested that she should take the dog back to the scene of the crime and then give it a row.(bearing in mind that it is a sensitive soft dog)

2.He does come to recall but not when there are distractions e'g' playing with other dogs. I suggested to avoid getting herself into these no win situations. Only recall when she knows he is going to come back. If there are no distractions and he does not come back, then disciplne at the scene of the crime.

3. He howls and cries when she goes out. She is worried about the neighbours. Doeas anyone have any experience of the anti-bark collars - would these work?

Thanks Anthony