Has anybody tried?

Bloke

Like the solar-operated ones from Browning etc? They seem a lot more expensive than the battery operated ones, but how long do the batteries really last in those, and can you use rechargeables? I am looking at getting some electronic ear defenders and while I don't mind spending money on good kit, I object to spending money on gimmicks that offer no real improvement, just a bigger price tag. I wear a hearing aid, which I obviously take out for shooting, but I am really struggling to hear voices etc now, and electronic ear defenders look like they might help.

any comments please? :good:

the batteries in my Howard Leights last for ages - i wore them all day today at Bisley and have been out in them a good few times - i'd estimate a pair of AAA last 30-50 hours

Howard Leights Quote ''2 AAA batteries for a runtime of up to 350 hours.'' :good::good:

same as the link Bloke.

i'd imagine they would run for that amount of time if you had them on the very lowest sound level. i tend to wear mine pretty loud so i can hear sparrows farting.

Thanks for that kind sir, do you use/can you use rechargeable batteries? I think I would normally have them fairly loud. How well does the stereo system let you locate noise sources?

my sportacs have had the same batterys in for a year now :good:

Which model sportacs :good: , I have found a couple that look different, maybe just older/newer versions of the same model, but I prefer something fairly slimline, as my ear is pretty close to the stock.

Edited by Bloke

i thought there was only one type of peltor sporttac ?

sorry - dumba$$ reply :good: , I had dropped on a us site, and they listed all th colour combinations and models as separate, so the different ear cup colours (orange/green, red/black) etc were on separate pages, but same item, my mistake!

Thanks for that kind sir, do you use/can you use rechargeable batteries? I think I would normally have them fairly loud. How well does the stereo system let you locate noise sources?

works a treat - you can literally hear pigeon wings beating as they approach from behind.

works a treat - you can literally hear pigeon wings beating as they approach from behind.

I think they are the ones for me then, I like the slim profile, and the extra cost for solar power will buy a shedload of batteries. Thanks for the advice Nick - after the old pension has been paid in this month I will go shopping and let you know how I get on. Thanks again, Ian G