dogs

bg55599

Is it legal to shoot a dog if its on your land and is attacking your livestock/pets. I know moraly most people would disagree with this but legaly is it allowed? (dont worry i havent shot one i am just wondering as i hear alot of storys of people who shoot cats. :yes:

Is it legal to shoot a dog if its on your land and is attacking your livestock/pets. I know moraly most people would disagree with this but legaly is it allowed? (dont worry i havent shot one i am just wondering as i hear alot of storys of people who shoot cats. :yes:

Not sure about pets, but it's certainly legal if worrying or attacking livestock. I doubt many on here would morally disagree either.

if you have permission on land,and a dog is seen chasing sheep,it can be shot by the farmer,and as far as im aware by anyone who has permission by farmer to shoot on his land.id rather try to follow dog back home,usually runs home once scared off,then warn owner that it will be shot next time its seen . :lol:

if you have permission on land,and a dog is seen chasing sheep,it can be shot by the farmer,and as far as im aware by anyone who has permission by farmer to shoot on his land.id rather try to follow dog back home,usually runs home once scared off,then warn owner that it will be shot next time its seen . :lol:

:lol: Once seen, twice shot - no moral objection, business vs. bad training/negligence

You can shoot a dog if it is worrying livestock.

Check it out though, its specific about the definition of 'worrying' and only specific livestock.

The fact is that no matter how responsible a dog owner is, sometimes they get out and they are animals who have instincts.

So i wouldnt shoot 1 unless it was attacking a person.

There was a post on here some time ago where someone had shot what appeared to be an Akita, the **** storm that followed resulted in the thread being removed.

Found this on a solicitors website.

Dog Worrying

What can you, as a livestock owner, legally do to protect your livestock if it is under immediate threat from dog worrying?

Worrying livestock is defined as:

attacking livestock; or

causing it injury or suffering or, in the case of females, abortion or loss of, or injury to, their offspring through being chased; or

not being on a lead or under close control, in a sheep field or enclosure.

You can shoot any dog worrying livestock if:

the dog is worrying (see the definition above) or is about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or

the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity, and is not under the control of any person and there are no practical means of ascertaining to whom it belongs.

However you must be able to prove that shooting the dog was necessary to protect your livestock and that you reported the incident to the police within 48 hours.

Protecting game is rather different. To avoid criminal liability, you have to prove that the shooting of a dog that was worrying game, was taken to protect your own property or your interest in that property. To do this, you need to demonstrate that you honestly believed that, at the time, the game was in immediate need of protection and that, under the circumstances, you used reasonable means.

In addition, to avoid civil liability, you will need to prove that the dog was either actually in the process of attacking the animals or, without the intervention, would renew its attack so that the animals would be left in a real and imminent danger.

Bearing in mind that shooting dogs should always be the last resort, however if your livestock is being worried, you can take action. However, you need to exercise more caution where game is concerned, as all relevant circumstances will be taken into account to establish if there was an imminent threat.

http://www.wrighthassall.co.uk/resources/a...animal_law.aspx

Edited by joke209061

a farmer i do a bit of pest control for gave the police permission to walk a police dog on the farm all was ok for a year or so then one of the dogs went after his sheep it killed 4 sheep and 1 more died later,anyway the farmer shot the dog as the policeman could'ent get it under control, the policeman was going to get the farmer locked up anyway the outcome was the police paid damages and apoliges to him.