Supporting local restaurants

Billy.

For those who are looking to make a little bit more money from their bags should remember to pop in to the local pubs and restaurants (not the chains, but those which are family run etc) and offer any of your pigeons/rabbits and any other game which you don't want.

A friend of mine who runs a restaurant, which I know has been struggling, bought 30 pigeon crowns for a pound each on Thursday (bet your local game dealer doesn't give you that :lol: ) and I popped in this afternoon and I was greeted by a very very happy restaurant owner who sold every single pigeon in one evening, which were turned into pigeon pies and sold for £13.95. So a nice profit for the restaurant and my cartridges paid for and a bit extra for a pint :lol:

For those who are looking to make a little bit more money from their bags should remember to pop in to the local pubs and restaurants (not the chains, but those which are family run etc) and offer any of your pigeons/rabbits and any other game which you don't want.

A friend of mine who runs a restaurant, which I know has been struggling, bought 30 pigeon crowns for a pound each on Thursday (bet your local game dealer doesn't give you that :hmm: ) and I popped in this afternoon and I was greeted by a very very happy restaurant owner who sold every single pigeon in one evening, which were turned into pigeon pies and sold for £13.95. So a nice profit for the restaurant and my cartridges paid for and a bit extra for a pint :unsure:

Not heard the term 'pigeon crowns' before. What does it mean?

Regards Bill

Not heard the term 'pigeon crowns' before. What does it mean?

Regards Bill

A pigeon crown is the meat that's on the breast plate of a pigeon. So when you hear someone say they 'crowned' a pigeon, it just means they've lifted the breast plate off the bird.

How do they make sure there is no lead shot left in them? As i can imagine a customer would'nt appreciate crunching on one.

It's not common to get shot left in pigeons, unless it's been shot from a fair distance. The pellets will pass quite easily through the body. The restaurnt have a clause on the menu that says that game may contain shot, but as the chef there is turning them into pies and terrines, he'll be able to feel any shot whilst cutting the meat up.

Edited by harfordwmj