OLD MUNTY BUCK

mikee

I treated my self to a trip to Thetford after a munty of two last friday but didnt get a shot so was invited to try again last evening, I met the land owner at about 5.30pm and after a quick chat and loading my gear into his truck we set of for a different piece of ground, he dropped me at the high sat sited along the side of a large wood with several "fins" of woodland running at 90 degrees to the main wood, each about 200 yds long and about 40yds wide with 40yd wide strips of clover between, I climbed the rickety high seat and got as comfy as i could and trying not to think too much about the thing collapsing at any minute. After about 10 minutes a munty doe appeared about 50yds away for a quick bite of clover but she was more concerned with something in the wood so I left her in case she had a nipper hiding in the tree line.

After about another 20 minutes a decent buck appeared on the track to my left and slightly behind at about 90 yds but I couldn't get round far enough for a shot, just as I was about to climb down and try to stalk him on foot another munty appeared round the end of the fin of trees in front of me, quick peep through the bins to see if he had any antlers, he did so rested the rifle on my game bag which was hooked on the front rail, cross on his chest, wait until he stopped for a mouth full and sent the 100gn soft point which hit just behind the front leg and he dropped where he stood, when i got to him I could see that he was an old boy that had probably been quite a good buck in his earlier years, he had some huge tusks about 1.5" long and his antlers now short and stubby but very thick, I should think 2-3 years ago he was a cracker, and hopefully his genes have been passed on several times.

post-11391-1273331860.jpg

post-11391-1273331869.jpg

apologies for the poor focus

mikee