Selling game

Hi all,

I was wondering do I need to have a game dealers license to sell my game such as rabbits, pigeons, deer and how do I go about finding a game dealer to sell to?

Thank you,

Lee

Don't know about Rabbit but Pigeon, as long as they are whole can be sold to a game dealer in England (Scotland's rules are different so you'll need to check.) I would suspect Rabbit are the same, as long as un-paunched you will be able to sell them with no restrictions to dealer. Deer/Venison is slightly different. Unless you have the 'Trained Hunter' qualification which is essentially a specifik large game handling qualification, you will need to supply the carcase with the head, feet and lungs to the dealer, if you have the TH certification you can just sell in the gralloched carcase.

Just look in the yellow pages for 'Game Dealers' then give them a ring and check their prices (i.e. what they'll pay you)

Hope that helps :blink:

All game sold to a game dealer must have been inspected by a trained hunter i think, i dont think game dealers want un inspected carcases in case of contamination.

Trained hunter certificate is made up of three parts,

General baisic

Large game

smallgame/feathered game.

Its not too hard and it has many merits

Beretta

(Trained Hunter :blink:)

All game sold to a game dealer must have been inspected by a trained hunter i think, i dont think game dealers want un inspected carcases in case of contamination.

Trained hunter certificate is made up of three parts,

General baisic

Large game

smallgame/feathered game.

Its not too hard and it has many merits

Beretta

(Trained Hunter :blink:)

Small/Feathered game is not included in the trained hunter qualification, only large game. there is a separate small game handling certificate but it is not part of TH

My game dealer will take pigeon and rabbits from me no problem but the rabbits have to be paunched.......

And i don't have a certificate.....

There ya go... didn't know which way round it would be with bunnies... hope you're well big fella! :blink:

Check with your Game Dealer first before taking Rabbits.

I believe that if they are for export then un-paunched is required.

Paunched is ususally for the home market.

It seems we don't like them tasting so 'gamey' :blink:

Check with your Game Dealer first before taking Rabbits.

I believe that if they are for export then un-paunched is required.

Paunched is ususally for the home market.

It seems we don't like them tasting so 'gamey' :blink:

The one i use will not take them unless they are paunched but i know of another one who will only take them whole as he sends them to france... :oops:

I suggest this is recomended reading, its what trained hunters have to be familar with.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wil...eguidejun09.pdf

Box 3 on page 4 is relevent to this topic and you can see that you HAVE to be registered as a food buisness and ALL carcassses have to have undergone examination by a trained person, with for large game a nubered decleration in tact.

AGHE is a approved game handeling establishment or in other words a game dealer.

I should be carefull as if you supply dogey meat and some one dies cause of it the consequences can be nasty.

Thanks chaps for the quick reply.

So Trained Hunter status if that awarded by the DSC1?

Lee

You don't have to do DSC1 just to get your trained hunter cert.

You can do the Lantra Level 2 Cert in Game Meat Hygiene, this covers both large and small game.

But if I do DSC 1 and 2 do I need to do the other, i.e. Lantra level 2?

Thank you all for your replies.

Lee

Trained Hunter as done as part of DSC doesn't conatin any small game stuff at all, only large game as you would expect as it's a deer management qualification.