First Bucks and yearling does of 2010

Couple of weeks ago i went to my hunt in Germany for roebucks and yearling does. This year the farmersorganisation complained about the big number of roe that are about. So the hunting organisation who leases the permission out told us to shoot more then we are used to for the coming 3 years.

So expectations where high. On the first evening i sat at a favorite high seat of mine where i know i am going to see roe one way or the other. Unfortunately the farmer had some damage from badgers and wild boar on his grassland. So he put up all sorts of flags and plastic bags on sticks to scare away the animals. We have some wild boar but they are just visiting the area. In 7 years time i only saw 1 and heard a couple roaming the woods. But maybe i future... Hope not, because as a hunter you are responsible for damages to crops and have to pay up to the farmers if wild boar have eating the corn or mais for instance. Anyway, saw quite soon some roe does and yearlings coming out. They where not bothered by the flags luckily. But they where to far out. After an hour a 6- pointer came from the woodland. I saw it was a bit young and decided to wait for a possible older one. But another 45 minutes passed, two more bucks came out but much further away from me. So i decided this 6 pointer would do just fine. I put the crosshairs on him and fired, it bolted and run of into the woodland. Waited for 10 minutes and had a look. Loads of blood, and i followed the trail. It laid 20 meters into cover with a heart/lung shot.

My mate didn't have any luck that evening, saw a lot of roe though.

Next morning tried for a yearling doe. Stalked through an area where i knew there where plenty about. Got some in view including a old doe and young buck. Decided for the yearling doe. That dropped on the spot. That evening i sat at a highseat near a big woodland. Again always plenty of roe here, after a while i could see a roe doe in the woodland feeding. Waited for 30 mintues and suddenly a yeraling doe and a young buck popped up. Probably the calfs from last year of that doe. Waited untill the yearling doe stood broadside and fired, it bolted and ran 50 meters across the grassy field and dropped. The young buck stood still, looked at his sister and went feeding again. Hmm :yes: you would do just fine as well. So i also shot the young buck which dropped on the spot.

The other morning i slept in :good: . Last evening i sat at a self made hide on the egde of the forest. After a while a yearling doe was walking in the woods, i could see it had a limb. I looked with my bino's and saw it had a broken leg. So took the gun, and when it was standing free from cover i shot it. Turned out it was a fresh wound, only days old.

So in total i had 2 bucks and 3 yearling doe's. My mate had 2 bucks and 1 yearling doe. All the farmers in the area happy, we happy. Next month we will give it another try on the bucks.

post-3027-1275204669.jpg

post-3027-1275204677.jpg

post-3027-1275204696.jpg

post-3027-1275204704.jpg

post-3027-1275204722.jpg

Damage to crops is primaraly done by red deer, fallow and wild boar. Roe deer do not have a big impact on crops. Roe deer, together with fallow and red deer can have a big impact on woodland. It can be the case you will have to pay for damage to young trees. But most of the new plantations are fenced in. Badgers can do damage to grassland.

Damage to crops because of wild boar or red deer can be from 100 euro to up to 10 thousands of euros. There have been extreme damages in hunting grounds in Germany of around 100.000 euro a year. <_< Made some people even bankrupt hiring that particulair permission. Needless to say that these hunting grounds are very difficult to lease out to (sensibel) hunters. But most damage costs are around 500 to 6000 euro. Depends on size hunting ground and the countermeausures you are taking (for instance putting up electrical fencing around maize, sitting almost every night next to freshly drilled crops and shoot every wild boar in sight)

I myself am looking for a new hunting area to lease in Germany. There are offers but they have damages of around 10.000 euro. Too much for me. :blink: That is the reason a lot of germans themselves do not hunt these grounds any more. Became too expensive, and you do not know the fixed price. Can be worse or better.

There are hunting organisations who will lease out there hunting ground with a fixed ammount for damages. So you know where you stand.

I am still jealous with a lot of you UKhunters. Most of the times you have a permission and you do not even pay for it. That is very unlikely in the Netherlands and Germany. If you want a permission you will have to pay.

I am thinking of maybe lease a permission in the UK, but do not know if that is possible for foreign hunters??