Myxomatosis how to hunt?

Hello,

i am new to this forum. i hunt in germany for the city at a school park. There are many rabbits. latley i shoot a rabbit with signs of myxi. My question is if i should shoot as many as possible or just keep on business as usual?

What is the best strategy?

We are aloud to shoot only young rabbits in Nordrhein Westfalen , till first of october.

I hunt with a TOZ 17-01 .22lr rifle an SAK moderator. I shoot SK Subsonic...just for info.

Regards David

Hello,

i am new to this forum. i hunt in germany for the city at a school park. There are many rabbits. latley i shoot a rabbit with signs of myxi. My question is if i should shoot as many as possible or just keep on business as usual?

What is the best strategy?

We are aloud to shoot only young rabbits in Nordrhein Westfalen , till first of october.

I hunt with a TOZ 17-01 .22lr rifle an SAK moderator. I shoot SK Subsonic...just for info.

Regards David

Good question! Depends on whether you are shooting as a pest control operation or for sport. If it is as pest control then carry on shooting. If it is for sport and you do not want to eliminate the rabbits in that area then maybe best to give them a rest for a while. In the UK myxi is not as fatal as it used to be with many rabbits surviving the disease when it occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

i would have shot and removed as many as i could hoping that they would be some small pockets of bunnys left after the myxi had ripped through.. myxi came through here twice in 5 years and wiped everything out and its taken 2 years to start seeing anything worth going after, you need something to bread from for next years sport and it would have saved a lot of suffering... i supose its too late now as myxi will have done its thing...

larson

Edited by larson

Hello David, and welcome to PW. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regarding your post of shooting rabbits with Myxy', well I, for one, would should as many of them as I could get. As this disease is spread by the fleas, the more that can be killed, the better the chance the disease will fade away.

Good luck with your shooting.

Steve. :good: