puppy recall

Hi all

My 14 week old black lab is doing really well and although i still want him to have his puppy stage I have been training him during play etc.He walks to heel on a lead and off the lead for a short while,he sits well and to my amazment at distance too.The thing is he dosent recall very well and often ignores me completely do i tackle this issue now with a check cord or do i leave it till hes older.I have tried the running away etc but he just looks at me lol.

Also now hes sitting well do i introduce the whistle or is it too early ?.And my last question guys when hes sitting i never recall him from that position as nttf 8 week program i always walk up to him and release him.How long do i do this for as i have seen people recall a dog then stop it on the whistle again.

Thanks for your help guys.

Lee

Hi all

My 14 week old black lab is doing really well and although i still want him to have his puppy stage I have been training him during play etc.He walks to heel on a lead and off the lead for a short while,he sits well and to my amazment at distance too.The thing is he dosent recall very well and often ignores me completely do i tackle this issue now with a check cord or do i leave it till hes older.I have tried the running away etc but he just looks at me lol.

Also now hes sitting well do i introduce the whistle or is it too early ?.And my last question guys when hes sitting i never recall him from that position as nttf 8 week program i always walk up to him and release him.How long do i do this for as i have seen people recall a dog then stop it on the whistle again.

Thanks for your help guys.

Lee

Your dog is 14 weeks it still very much a puppy, if you look back through the dog section you will find people with similar queries down through the years and the general consensus has always been that your dog is too young. Its 14 weeks old let it enjoy being puppy, 6 months is old enough to start the training you are describing, just don't leave it develop any bad habits in the meantime. Your dog barely knows its name yet, that's the only thing you should be teaching it now. Do what Spaniel has said at feeding times, it will start to associate its name with being fed, but that's enough for now.

Edited by deeksofdoom

I wouldn't be sitting my 14 week pup at any distance from me. I'd have in around me all the time building up a bond.

Puppy recall is usually the 1st training I do as it's the easiest. The pup should want to be with you, your it's world. If not why not?

When it's already running towards me I give the recall command. It then never fails.

Later when I know it knows the command I would take steps if it ignored the command but I don't think you need that yet