Is my dog mad or is she just really really clever?

Maidment78

Morning,

Just had the most horrendus night with the new pup, she is 5 months now and has been sleeping though the night from the 3rd day after we got her. She has always been a bit clingy but we have been slowly getting her to spend more time alone and I was really pleased with the progress.

Then,,, 4 nights ago she started playing up during the night, scratching at her door, howling and the like. I left her to start with thinking she was just being a pain but it went on for a couple of hours so I went down when there was a small break inthe noise and checked on her and she had messed on the floor.

We have been to the vets 2 weeks ago as she had a urinary infection and we gave her a weeks does of tablets and all is cleared up so I am wondering if there is anything else the issue here or is she just playing for attention. Seems a bi extreme for attention seeking though.

When I go down to see her she sleeps fine which is why I am thinking this.

She did the same last night hence me asking people here if they have had a similar experiance or do I need to get someone in who knows more about this then me. I have had dogs for years and never experianced anything like this.

Lives indoors as a pet first and I will be training her later for the field. Sleeps in the office which is a small warm room at the end of the house.

Any help greatly recieved,

Paul.

we had nearly same from our lab , infection at six months then scratching at kitchen door just for a cudle .we now leave her the hall way aswell with a stair gate , on stairs . she is happy as larry now , doesnt even bother to get out of cage some mornings when i get up early , just lays there with a smile and a wagging tale till she is ready for a wee.

the more she grows the more she is a charicater .

post-16997-1280050809.jpg

"no dad i didnt dig the plants up "

That is good to hear as she is such a great little dog, training brilliant, and for a pointer she is flushing well even now with virtually no training apart from leaving cheese in places for her to look for.

I will give both the radio and a little more room to move about and see how she goes.

Thanks guys.

Are you sure the dog was not just asking, in its way, to be let out to go to the loo, not wanting to mess its bed area.?

Its a difficult balance between going to a new training dog thats barking, as we can all see this could reward bad behaviour and start a trend.

So yes you may have a very intelligent dog just saying I need a S--t.

Its your call. Best wishes, In time you will be rewarded with a lifelong mate. Be patient.

Are you sure the dog was not just asking, in its way, to be let out to go to the loo, not wanting to mess its bed area.?

My labrador bitch used to do this before she developed enough bladder contol to go through the night. I would let her out, without talking her to her (other than giving her the relevant commands) or making a fuss of her in any way, and then immediately put her back in her bed and leave her - that way she got to go to the loo but didn't learn that making a fuss got her attention.

She starts as soon as the door is closed straight after her last toilet session. We have just redone her bedroom to include radio and cage so will try with this for a few nights with the door open then fingers crossed. Failing this there are always the passive ear protection I was bought last year,,, :good:

Update to tha dog,

Settled her in the cage Sunday night after she did her business and radio was playing a debate about the coalition goverment so she will be very learnard by the end of this.

She started playing up from the off so left her too it and she went on like this all night. Got down to her at 6am as normal and let her out and cleaned up the mess.

As she did not sleep all night she was shattered during the day and did not move until about 2pm, Wife took her out and ran her out and we went to puppy class then bed, still played up but for 10 mins then quiet for 20 mins then 10mins playing up so big improvement, test will be tonight I guess.

Seems to be a confidence things if I had to guess but with the training we are doing she should be better being away from me for longer periods as sit stay work is coming on nicely.

She sleeps,,,,,,,

Just incase anyone was interested this is the story so far,

Went to the vet as notice discharge and spotting and as she is 6 months now though the season might have begun but due to the infection I want to make sure. Vet checker her over which she was suprisingly happy about and confirmed she is not in season and the infection is still there so 7 more days of tablets.

Last night set up her bed like a cave with blankets over the top, lots of covers inside and left the light on in the room. She was run out a lot too 2 hours before bed and was tired.

Slept from 11pm to 5am before any wimpering then let out at 6am and it was a dry night so looks like we may be getting back to normal again,,

Two things that I used that you might think are a bit odd but 6 days of no sleep and I was willing to try anything,,, I used a DAP plug in and it did seem to calm her down a tad so will see what tonight brings.

Best bit was she did a 20 meter retrieve in water yesterday without running in. Great fun and look forward to more of the same.