Good guide for airgun scope use?

tom.hunter

Hello,

I'm using a FX verminator with 3-9 x 40 scope, and when shooting at garden range... 20 yards or so. I can do good groups but as soon

as I extend the range, or shoot upwards. (without re zeroing) i'm all over the place. Im wondering if there is a good guide to using the milldots

/ holdover etc anywhere online or in any of the popular books.

E.g. In this video:

When he does holdunder for example, is it because he's shooting upwards or is it relative to his scope zero?

If you were shooting upwards (requiring holdunder) and at a longer range than the scope is zero'd for would they

cancel each other out to some degree?

Thanks,

Ps. Been practicing on targets and twigs etc, not quarry.

Edited by tom.hunter

It would be more usefull to zero your set up at say 40 yrds and scope at what ever mag you need to see the target,this will be a more effective range in the field (when you are competent,hitting 20p groupings)and will hold zero just under or over 40 yrds.

You are correct about shooting up in to trees :look:

In practice the best way to learn your rifle/scope is to set up range cards and shoot off rest at these until you know were its hitting and record the amount of hold over/under on a card marked up same as your scope with the mildots on it and range adjacent,it will also help you to judge distances ready for live quarry and find the sweet spot for any pcp (the max-min bar pressure that produces consistent shots)

Hope this helps.

atb,Karl

Both these replies were great help, thanks alot.

One other thing is I always find I'm very shakey through the scope, especially from an standing shooting position. I always thought it was because

I wasn't strong enough when I was younger with a heavy springer, but now with a light pcp and more strength I'm sure it can't be that. I know

the breathing out tip but is there anything else to this? Perhaps its just practice.