Open Clay Shoot - East sussex

boarder

Hi all. I hope my first post does not seem like spamming but here goes anyway........

I am organising an open shoot near Hastings, East Sussex, to help grow our small syndicate and help us get a couple more electric traps. All good for the growth of our sport, right. Details of the shoot are:

Open Clay Shoot

Sandhole Farm, Stonestile Lane, Westfield, Nr Hastings, TN35 4PH

SUNDAY 15th August 2010

£100 CASH PRIZE / Trophy class

50 bird sporting £15 Re-entry £10

POOL SHOOT

First Entry 10am - Last entry 2pm

Fibre wads only/cartridges available

Refreshments

Contact shoot.westfield@gmail.com

Thanks a lot.

Ben

We shoot on this ground every fortnight. My dad and his buddies having been doing so for about 25 years. We are not a club or a paid for syndicate. We have regulars who have shot with us for years, and some new guys coming along all the time and have now grown to around 20 shooters per fortnight.

Once the infrastructure is in place then we would like to hold 2 open shoots per year. My parents farm is a lovely setting for a shoot with our sporting layout set around a woodland pond, Although we will be moving some stands to more open ground for the open shoot. The shooting is already well set up. now it is the slow process of replacing the old manual traps with autos.

Cheers

Ben.

• 2 weeks later...
how did this go Ben?

Hi. The day was a great success. We had 78 shooters with approximately a 50% re-entry count. The weather held up well for us too.

I did set a difficult course and in hind-sight should have made 2 of the stands a little easier. The first stand was a quartering in bird which at the point of shooting was dropping in quickly and on its edge. When we set all the traps up the day before it looked like it would be the easiert stand of the day, but turned out to be quite an elusive target.

The prize money was taken with a score of 41 out of 50 I think. The trophy classes were well supported too.

Next time I will definitely make 2 stands a little easier. I will also drop the prize money from £100 to the winner, to £50 first, £25 second, 100 cartridges for 3rd. We will also incorporate a have a go stand into the shoot as we did have a lot of novices that would have benefited from it rather than jumping straight into a 50 bird sporting where i'd taken my ideas from difficult targets at west kent and northall.

It will be a twice yearly event, perhaps May and August, and we continue to shoot every fortnight on the land. I am already browsing the laporte catalogue for our next purchase :hmm:

Hi. The day was a great success. We had 78 shooters with approximately a 50% re-entry count. The weather held up well for us too.

I did set a difficult course and in hind-sight should have made 2 of the stands a little easier. The first stand was a quartering in bird which at the point of shooting was dropping in quickly and on its edge. When we set all the traps up the day before it looked like it would be the easiert stand of the day, but turned out to be quite an elusive target.

The prize money was taken with a score of 41 out of 50 I think. The trophy classes were well supported too.

Next time I will definitely make 2 stands a little easier. I will also drop the prize money from £100 to the winner, to £50 first, £25 second, 100 cartridges for 3rd. We will also incorporate a have a go stand into the shoot as we did have a lot of novices that would have benefited from it rather than jumping straight into a 50 bird sporting where i'd taken my ideas from difficult targets at west kent and northall.

It will be a twice yearly event, perhaps May and August, and we continue to shoot every fortnight on the land. I am already browsing the laporte catalogue for our next purchase :good:

well let me know when the next one is..... just moved down to romney.... so wouldn't be too bad to get to