Good but Frustrating Day On the Stubble -20th August 2010

pro.carter

So, it was an overcast friday with a hell of wind blowing so by about 11 o'clock i thought i would go decoying o some 2 day old wheat stubble just down the road from where i live, which is just west of Tunbridge Wells.

I arrived in the field at about 12:30 in the afternoon and went straight to where i new the birds were feeding as i walked the field the day before. Low and behold there were around 100 birds in the same spot as the day before. I walked them off and set up the hide which only took a few minutes as i simply just rolled 4 straw bales together which made an excellent hide for pigeons (not so good for crows as they can see in over the top!).

Due to a small country lane to one side it meant that i had to shoot with the wind coming across me. This was no problem however as i had a new pattern up my sleeve from a brilliant little book of mine. It was essentially a back to front 6 which dragged over the flight line a little and as pigeons don't seem to like flying over other feeding pigeons, the birds that were about decoyed like a dream. Bang smack i the kill zone every time! Although i had an amazing pattern which worked every time, the birds just weren't playing ball. Possibly down to the fact that they have so many different places that they can feed at this time of year that they don't build up in bigger enough numbers for a really good bag!

There were big waits between birds coming in but the ones that did were unbelievable. The best birds of the day came down, as textbook as it can it and dropped steeply due to the strong wind right into the kill zone of my pattern... i popped up mounted my piece of rust to my shoulder and dropped the first one with a cloud of feathers, the second caught the wind with its wings and rocketed away from the decoys. Slipping my finger to the second trigger i pulled through the bird and fired. AGAIN, a cloud of feathers but the bird kept flying! i couldn't believe it! I watched the bird fly the length of the field losing more feathers as it went and then after flying about 400 yards dropped like a stone! I was very satisfied... but not with the distance that i then had to walk to retrieve it.

The day was then coming to a close (about 6 o'clock) and after a frustrating days shooting i was tacking pictures on my phone, completely visible standing over the straw bale at the front of the hide, when a woody just dropped in from nowhere right over the decoys, looked at me and then carried on decoying in. I couldn't believe it! so i dropped my phone and grabbed my gun dropping the bird with a cloud of feathers as it slowly moved away from the pattern! I was very pleased.

Although i only shot a small bag of 11 i had a good day with some brilliant birds!

I have included pictures of the day (although not very good day compared to the 78 that i shot on the same field last year) and some pictures if the pattern i used and the cartridges that i shoot decoyed pigeons with!

ENJOY!

post-15751-1282394820.jpg

My hide made up of 4 straw bales rolled together. Worked perfectly!

post-15751-1282395483.jpg

My rust peace, but faithful spanish side by side (payed about £100 for it)

post-15751-1282395685.jpg

Brilliant book!

post-15751-1282395755.jpg

The pattern that I used. It worked amazingly!

post-15751-1282395831.jpg

When decoying i use a cheap 28g 7.5 as they kill pigeons very well!

post-15751-1282396024.jpg

The main part of my pattern

post-15751-1282396091.jpg

A small bag of 10 but a good day all the same! (ended up with 11 as a hit bird went and landed in a tree so as i left i checked underneath the tree and low and behold, there it was, stone dead!)

Edited by pro.carter

:) Nice write up and pictures mate its not all about big bags if was i would of packed up ages ago ;) i am reading the exact same book and noticed your using Johns decoy patterns is book has been very helpful with some good tips from a down to earth fellow. Nice one :no: