N Norfolk pigeons early to bed

anser2

I have been talking to a couple of local pigeon shooters and they have all had the same problem as I have . The pigeons finnishing feeding very early for the time of year. In the past I would expect tea time to be the best period of the day for late summer pigeon shooting over stubbles and plenty of action to almost sunset. . But this year most afternoons the activity stops by about 5.00 and though you might get the odd shot its not worth hanging on shooting after 6.00 pm.

Edited by anser2

With the changeable weather we've been getting here lately is it any wonder!

Would agree as this time last year we were still out at 20.00/20.30 but the latest we've shot this harvest is 19.00.

Fields are now sodden, newly planted OSR is getting washed out and wheat still to be harvested is looking pretty shabby! Over the last 24 hours we've had inches NOT mm of rain and it's still chucking it down.

Have to say its same round here but go 20 miles up the road and the birds feed till 8pm but dont start till mid afternoon .

Like said it could well be the changing weather ,they were out yesterday cutting wheat which was not fit as they new the rain was due and boy we have had some rain today ,still loads of wheat to cut . i have 1 farm who has not touched his wheat and has 1200 acres to cut :lol:

I have never know such a strange year for pigeon habits ,I have only once this harvest shot alot of birds after 7PM.

They have creeped into autum feeding I have a couple of early morning bags starting at sunrise and lasting till 1000hrs.

I have not seen birds feeding in numbers after teatime either.

All makes it part of the fun of trying to crack the code .

Kind regards OTH