GCWT Part time Gamekeepers Course

webber

Dorianbuilders and I both enrolled on a part time gamekeepers course run by the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust at their headquarters at Fordingbridge in Hampshire.

I collected Adrian at junction 19 on the M6 late in the afternoon on Thursday, and we headed South for a journey of around 4 ½ hours. We stopped at some services around 5pm, to get something to eat, and allow some of the rush hours traffic to pass. We both had Burgerking, not the best that I’ve ever had by far, but edible none the less.

We followed the satnav directions intently as dusk turned to pitch black; we stopped at some services around 30 miles from our destination to refuel etc. and then continued on the final leg. The last part was probably the most interesting as it involved driving through the woods and downs on a single track road in the pitch black and on occasion slight mist. We saw a few Roe deer and several ponies in the road. I’ve never driven in this part of the country before; it is an experience that I won’t forget. We soon arrived at Fordingbridge and located the B&B that Adrian had found on the internet, and booked a few weeks prior. We soon settled in; the room was perfect, but for no telly, not that it mattered as we soon hit the sack.

The following morning we breakfasted at 7.30 and then made our way to the GWCT headquarters about 2 miles away. The satnav tried to send us down a no entry road, so we sought directions from a local. We followed the alternative route, and fortuously spotted that the local garage sold Autogas. We arrived with about 5 minutes to spare, and met with the other 8 or 9 who had also signed up for the course.

Two were from Essex, they part time keepered a predominantly Partridge shoot. Two others were from Kent, and had been sent by their boss as he had done the course the previous year and found it so useful that he sent his two men on an all expenses paid trip to Fordingbridge for 3 days. I don’t think that he knew how well these two lads could drink. They do say that knowledge has a price; I just hope that its one that their boss is prepared to pay; at least he can claim the VAT back. One other was a part time keeper from Northumberland, and the other was involved with a forces shoot. Neither Adrian nor I are currently keepering on any shoot; hopefully the situation will change in the future.

The course syllabus ran into 3 or 4 pages, too much to detail here. The first day was mainly class room based covering various subjects from trapping and predator control to habitat. There were a few excursions to onsite facilities to demonstrate various aspects referred to in the lectures, pen construction, incubation etc. The two main lecturers were Mike Swan and Alex Burton. We finished around 5.30, returned to camp, had a short snooze, before getting ready to hit the town in search of grub. The B&B owner suggested that we try the Ship, which we did. We both enjoyed our meals, and just managed to escape before the band struck its first note at 9am; just as well as our table was immediately alongside one of their speakers. We sought directions for another pub in the area called the Augustus John. This is where the others on the course had all booked their B&B, we didn’t eat there as we had been put off by some of the reported prices; the food was good, if a little on the pricey side. No two for one deals in this neck of the woods. We joined the lads for a drink or 6 or so, before we retired around 11.30.

The following morning, some were the worse for wear, which I’m sure is what Mike Swan has experienced before and had therefore adjusted his delivery accordingly. We had a short class room session, and then headed off in a few cars to a 300 acre estate shoot which was part time keepered.

Mike advised us that it was trapping test time, and issued each pair with one number 4 and one number 6 Fenn traps, and sent us off to set the traps in realistic circumstances. Adrian soon found a rabbit hole, and whilst he did battle with the brambles and the number 6 trap, I cut a stick to anchor the trap. Our second effort involved digging a small trench, setting the number 4 trap, and then covering it with cut timber to form an attractive tunnel. As Adrian is a builder, I decided that it was best if he did the digging and construction work, whilst I cut 4 suitable sticks to restrict the entry to the tunnel. The teams re grouped and Mike decided that we would have a competition for the best traps. Our was the first examined, we scored 8 & 7 out of 10. Everyone was impressed by the standard, and admitted that we were going to be hard to beat. We visited the various other teams traps in turn, none really did come close, although I did pick up a few very useful tips. Adrian and I won the informal competition, but no prize was awarded.

Following a picnic lunch we set off on a hike to view various aspects of the shoot and its development over the years. GWCT has been involved with the shoot for decades. Trees and cover crops have been strategically planted, and tactics amended over the years.

We then had another short excursion to a neighbouring shoot which is around 1000 acres and is single handed full time keepered. We were introduced to Justin who explained his strategy, his employers expectations, and some of the problems that he faces, he accompanied us around the shoot pointing out various aspects of the shoot, and how problems have been overcome. Mike explained that GWCT have been involved with the shoot from its concept as a shoot, the who’s, the why’s, and the facts were fascinating. Justin explained that he was now in his fourth year, and that he was now getting the shoot to run how he wanted it to. He had followed a very well respected and longstanding keeper who understandably was set in his ways. Justin was now producing more days shooting, but with the same number of birds down, and the same resourses.

We retired to camp; no time for a snooze; showered, changed and out to the Augustus John for the shoot dinner. Justin was sat next to me for dinner, I enjoyed out chat tremendously, the man is totally dedicated to two things, his job, and his family. He explained that although he lives quite close to the pub, he very rarely enters it; he simply doesn’t have the time.

We had a few drinks, and retired. I was knackered. Webbers not built for walking up 45 degree slopes for hours on end, and dragging a duff leg didn’t help. I thought that I’d signed up for a gamekeeper’s course; no where did I see that an Outward Bound course was also included as a freebie.

Sunday, the final day, was equally interesting. The first lecture was given by a member of the British Deer Society. I’ve had very little to do with deer, and found the lecture very interesting.

Mike Swan led an exercise on shoot costings based on a hypothetical DIY keepered shoot. I have recently conducted such an exercise for a shoot that I was attempting to re establish, so it was interesting to learn that I had gone about it in the right way, and interestingly, the end result of cost per bird wasn’t too much adrift either.

The final part of the course was an optional Fox Snaring course. This culminated in both a simple written examination and a practical test for setting the new GWCT Fox snare. Given legislation and the problems that keepers face, this new snare has to be the way forward.

The course concluded around 4pm, and we made our respective ways home. Ours via the local garage for Autogas at a sensible price, and a scenic route plotted by the satnav which took us via various historic towns that I have heard of, but never visited. It’s a beautiful part of Britain, maybe a return visit is on the cards. We eventually hit the M5 and North; I arrived home around 9.30, and went almost immediately to bed. The yomp around Hampshire and the drive had certainly taken its toll.

Today. I’m not quite so stiff, although I did only climb out of my pit at noon.

I’ve learned a lot. I always had respect for GWCT, now I’m much more knowledgeable, thanks to the expertise and dedication of Mike Swan and his dedicated colleagues at GWCT.

Gents this course is now only run once per year. If you are involved with part time keepering on a shoot, and are serious about what you do, how and why you do it, this course is for you. It’s not cheap, but the best very rarely is, but I consider every penny as money well spent, and would seriously urge others to contact Mike Swan at GWCT for details of the 2011 course. It’s open to

none members, although I did join GWCT whilst there at a reduced rate. The work of GWCT is worthy of support by all those whom raise a gun or rifle to anything with a pulse.

webber