Heavy .22 pellets or a .25 pellet?

Jon-Boy

Only use .25 in FAC.. useless unless for close range rats in 12ftlb

As said above, a well placed .177 (more accurate to a longer range then .25) will kill the same when in a head shot, as a .25. You also need a lot mroe skill to shoot .25 because of the massive tradjectory, even on FAC power levels.

A lot depends on muzzle velocity.

If you can shoot out a heavier weight at a legal velocity, then, over the same range, it is likely to have more stopping power than a lighter slug.

I've got one of those gismos that yoiu clamp to the end of the barrel to measure muzzle velocity.

If you tweak your rifle to allow it to accelerate a heavier weight slug up to the legal limit, be aware that lighter slugs used from the same setting will be travelling at illegal speeds.

AIMO

Hi

You can get the red tipped Polymer Predator pellets in the UK. Both in .177 and .22

I have some on order from a shop in the UK, and yes they do look awesome, only hope they shoot right in my Lightning XL. ;)

Moderator: Before I post a shop name, can I do that on this forum, or is that advertising?

If yes, then I will post a link after I've been given confirmation.

Cheers,

Karl

You also need a lot mroe skill to shoot .25 because of the massive tradjectory, even on FAC power levels.

Hi,

Rubbish, a least the statement about .25 at FAC power levels !

You can have just as flat trajectory with FAC .25 if you match the pellet weight correctly to the power of the gun as you will get with any of the other 3 smaller caliber. This is all it takes !

Cheers,

Bolta

If you can shoot out a heavier weight at a legal velocity, then, over the same range, it is likely to have more stopping power than a lighter slug.

Hi,

Wrong, if I understand you correctly !

A heavier weight pellet can not kill any cleaner than a light weight pellet if you have enough energy to drive the particular pellet into the vital killzones. It is not the weight of a pellet that kills a quarry but it is the destruction of vital tissue and organs that kills a quarry.

What any hunter is after in clean killing is a large wound channel right through the killzone of a quarry. The longer and wider this wound channel is the faster or cleaner the kill will be.

Cheers,

Bolta

Bolta,

wrong yourself....or at least only partially right.

Its the energy transmitted that causes penetration and tissue disruption.

A heavier weight slug transmits more energy than a light one at the same speed.

Yes, if you can place the slug precisely in the spot you want then you can get a clean kill but, the greater the kinectic energy you transmit the better the knockdown IMO

The whole purpose of expanding slugs is to ensure that, as they spread out, they translate all of that kinectic energy into tissue damage.

Bolta,

wrong yourself....or at least only partially right.

Its the energy transmitted that causes penetration and tissue disruption.

A heavier weight slug transmits more energy than a light one at the same speed.

Yes, if you can place the slug precisely in the spot you want then you can get a clean kill but, the greater the kinectic energy you transmit the better the knockdown IMO

The whole purpose of expanding slugs is to ensure that, as they spread out, they translate all of that kinectic energy into tissue damage.

Hi,

You are wrong about this !

If I shoot a more heavier weight pellet I do not get any cleaner kills than if I shoot a lower weighted pellet. Actually, you get more nerve reaction from a quarry, a least I do, then I shoot a heavier pellet with less "lethal design" comparing to more "lethal design" pellet.

How do you explain this ? Yeah, lets us now see. Well, I probably have to agree with you, Bolta because the heavier weight pellet did not create a larger wound channel through the killzone so therefor it did not kill as clean as an expanding pellet would do no matter what the weight was.

I guess from all of this that you have never tried shooting a high power FAC gun or actually seen what such a gun can do to a quarry, right ? If you really did have shot a FAC one you will be in NO DOUBT about that the weight of particular pellet does not have much to say about killing power what so ever.

Cheers,

Bolta

Edited by BOLTA

I have not been told that I cannot post a shop name on this forum, so here goes.

You can buy Predator Pellets in the UK from www.airgunners.co.uk

Available in 177 an 22, but currently out of stock of 177.

I DO NOT HAVE ANY LINKS TO THIS SHOP, so I am not advertising it for my or a colleagues benefit, only supplying the name as a source the pellets.

Happy hunting

Batmancaver