Growing pains

darren m

do pups get growing pains

my 9 month old springer bitch as suddenly started limping on her back right leg .

she runs round like a mad un :angry: and use,s it to scratch etc .

i,ve had a feel theres no heat or reaction to me gently massageing it , i,ve basically rested her a couple of days but shes still the same .

the most obvious is when shes eating ie . she leans to one side and thus raises the leg off the ground slightly , also in the morning she limps out of her gage , but after a minute shes got it down ( as in stiffing up with rest ).

shes a chunky bitch , heavy boned but not fat.

does this sound likew a break , tendon injury or even growing pains ( according to one web site ) :hmm:

thanks

sounds tendon / ligament strain /damage to me, trying to keep a springer rested is easier said than done so often they do take longer to heal than most. Keep an eye on it but might be a vet visit if it persists too long

Edited by al4x

will do

the less she does the better she seems , except for being in her cage overnight then shes stiff .

shes ok until she moves in a certain way then sets it off , i just hope to god its not her hips or a fracture :angry:

i know i should take her to the vet , but i,m dreading the bill to be really honest :hmm: , i know they,ll say rest first anyway so i,m doing that stage now.

cheers

ps. just wondering is there hip displacement in spaniels

Interesting this - reminds me of something I learned earlier this year!

I had a 4 year old bitch that I was due to take a litter of during her spring season, she was still working but no longer trialling. I noticed for a while that when ever she got back in she got lame on her front left so rested her a while and it seemed to ease a little but she just didnt look right in herself.

Anyway a week or so later I noticed her getting a bit kennel homey but she does that every season, took her out and when she got back she was picking up on her front right - bloody wierd so off to the VET.

Vet checked for some wierd bone disorder that I had never heard of - antibiotics, steroids and back in the kennel.

OK whilst on the antibiotics and then couple of days later lame on the back - this is getting freaky not - back off to the VET - more antibiotics needed.

I could see that this bitch was putting weight on and getting kind of lazy so I knew something more was wrong - back to the VET for the 3rd time - different medication - VET still examining for this joint disease despite me telling them it was not right - the bitch was getting barrely and homey.

Upshot - 2 days later went out to feed the dogs at about 9:00 end of day - looked in the kennel never seen anything like it - huge pool of blood/mucus/puss all over kennel floor with more dripping from the bitches vulva.

Straight on the phone - out to emergency VET this time - this was 11:00 at night now - vet took one look and said I will be very suprised if this dog lasts until the morning - ahh **** - into hospital on the drips to try get it string enought ot operate!!!

The diagnosis was an open Pyometra which is a massive womb infestion which had been brewing well before her season and basically she was filling up with puss - the lameness was the virus ripping through her body and affecting the joint fluids - how wrong did they get it :good:?

Anyway - 5 days and £1400 later the bitch was back in the kennel all stiched up BUT speyed - no litter now either - such good lines - such a shame.

Whey the hell I am writing this here ? well it is just a cautionary tale - I wont get caught again, you know your dogs so well that if you think somethings wrong follow your instincts and get a second opinion.

Not saying this has any relationship to your problem - just a heads up to always think about a wider problem and dont be afraid to tell the VET what you think - I was lucky this bitch survived.

Hope I did nt freak anyone out.

cheers - Southpoint