Someone Got There First!

BigDave15

I was walking the dog today doing a bit of pigeon watching ready for my shoot next weekend.

I had just climbed a large hill and climbed up in to one of the deer stands (the tall seats you sit in when shooting deer) I looked out on to a field full of pigeons a good 100 of them, as I clapped my hands the hole field came alive with pigeons and one flew over a small hedge then BANG it came spinning down.

Now me my dad and the gamekeeper are the only people who shoot on this patch of land and dad was at work talking to the gamekeeper. There was only one possibility we had a POACHER!!

When I got in I phoned the keeper and told him about my sighting and was told that he was letting one of his mates shoot there.

I am the only one who shoots pigeons this time of year in are fields and have always done it on my own

Does anybody know how the numbers of pigeons will be affected am I going to be missing out???

:thumbs:

Probably no harm done at all.

It might just be a "one-off" .

If its quite a large farm/shooting area that you have, then another gun can be an asset.

If you plan your shooting trips and place yourselves accordingly, you can keep the birds moving between you.

This will improve your sport and the size of your bags.

It would have been sensible for the gamekeeper to have mentioned to you, or your father , that someone else would be shooting on the land, just for "security" reasons.

Anyway, if there were that many pigeons on the field, YOU should have been shooting them, not walking your dog. :thumbs: :D

• 4 weeks later...