cobra merlin night vision gen 1 advice required

Gary H

Hi Guys

Need some advice, I have researched types of night vision and decide to go with the Cobra Merlin with over daytime scope adaptor. I am not sure what advantage if any the purchase of other than a 1x mag would be as i am assuming the magnification is increased via the daytime scope anyway. Also the 75w laser comes as standard would one need to upgrade to the 150w laser. my primary usage would be for rabbit out to a maximum of 80 to 100 metres using FAC air and 17 HMR. Please can anyone enlighten me on the finer points of this as i dont want to spend unecessary money.

Thanks in advance Gary

Hi Gary. I use a Cobra Merlin, and have to say that it's an excellent bit of kit. At the moment, I use it on my .243. The biggest advantage about the Cobra, is that it can be used on virtually any scope,providing it has adjustable parallax. Without this, seeing the reticule is very difficult. You need the above to fine tweak the settings to allow the reticule to be seen properly. What I did was to buy a cheaper scope with PA, and used that with the Cobra.

To gain extra IR 'light', I use a Blaserlite lamp fitted with a IR filter. This is clamped onto my scope. When the light is switched on, it increases the range from about 60 yards, to well over 150+. I can clearly identify quarry at 100+ yards easily. The Cobra monocular should not be compared to units from Lidl's/Aldi's etc. It is a far superior unit, and, using it just as a monucular proves this.

You do not need extra magnification, as your scope will do that for you. I would advise though, that you get one with the added eye relief.

My mate, Digit, and I, bought one each, and we are both pleased with them. They are more suited though, to being used when baiting an area etc, rather than walking around with it attached to your scope. I found that by doing this, you will have to adjust the Cobra before taking the shot. This is okay if you have time, but not if you suddenly see a fox etc.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Cobra Merlin. They may not be the cheapest, but they are, by far, one of the best NV monocular's.

Regards

Steve.

Hi Gary. I use a Cobra Merlin, and have to say that it's an excellent bit of kit. At the moment, I use it on my .243. The biggest advantage about the Cobra, is that it can be used on virtually any scope,providing it has adjustable parallax. Without this, seeing the reticule is very difficult. You need the above to fine tweak the settings to allow the reticule to be seen properly. What I did was to buy a cheaper scope with PA, and used that with the Cobra.

To gain extra IR 'light', I use a Blaserlite lamp fitted with a IR filter. This is clamped onto my scope. When the light is switched on, it increases the range from about 60 yards, to well over 150+. I can clearly identify quarry at 100+ yards easily. The Cobra monocular should not be compared to units from Lidl's/Aldi's etc. It is a far superior unit, and, using it just as a monucular proves this.

You do not need extra magnification, as your scope will do that for you. I would advise though, that you get one with the added eye relief.

My mate, Digit, and I, bought one each, and we are both pleased with them. They are more suited though, to being used when baiting an area etc, rather than walking around with it attached to your scope. I found that by doing this, you will have to adjust the Cobra before taking the shot. This is okay if you have time, but not if you suddenly see a fox etc.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Cobra Merlin. They may not be the cheapest, but they are, by far, one of the best NV monocular's.

Regards

Steve.

Thanks Steve for fear of sounding uninformed can you please explain the advantage of going for the extended eye relief model

Go for a ir laser N1000 price is around £145 it saves carting a battery around and not bulky and give you max distance for shooting about 100yards,as for scope do not go over a 6-24x56 and side/parallax,a good one is the AGS 4-16X56

Thanks GP1 just been checking out the ir laser N1000 looks interesting i take it comes with an adaptor that fits direct to the scope ?

If Steve is putting it on a 243 he will need long eye relief because of the recoil

ah yes of course i knew i had read that somewhere but my memory fails me mine will only be used for fac air and 17 hmr so i will probably suffice with standard eye relief, but then again who knows if i will end up with a 243 later on you know what we are like when we suddenly get the urge to buy a new gun :) thanks GP1

Regards Gary

Thanks GP1 just been checking out the ir laser N1000 looks interesting i take it comes with an adaptor that fits direct to the scope ?

Gary contact Clive Ward at nvscope.com, he can be a bit hard to get hold of but top bloke.

here is a corba merlin with a ir laser attatched

Edited by GP1