Q for the Essexlads

Dave 101

Hi

A question for the history buffs in Essex , I was in the White swan at Lavenham in suffolk yesterday and the there is a section of larve and plaster wall between the beams that the serviceman from WWII would sign , I noticed one name who was from an RAF base at Battlesbridge in Essex , anyone know where exactly that was ?

Dave

Just checked with two of the old loacls, one is 84 and the other 82 and been in the woodham area all there lives, and their answer as far as they could remember, was no, there was a ww1 base in nth woodham, which has just been revamped. There were search lights at rettendon and bicknacre,

So the search will continue!

TEH

How weird is that just thought I would do a Google search re the above andd the first thing that came up was this

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?3789-Anyone-heard-of-RAF-Battlebridge-Essex its like I was there as some one else a year ago .

Dave

Edited by Dave 101

Never been a RAF base at Battlesbridge as far as I know...

The place is not really big enough to hold one, although there was one in Ashingdon during the early part of WW2.

I only know it existed from a bit in the local paper last year, but have not been able to find out which field it was in.

That does not mean there wasn't a base though, it could have been the same as the RAF place in Canewdon, which was just a couple of cottages and a tall wooden watch tower, which was still standing when I was about 12 or 14.

All that remains now is the cottages.

Neil.

Edited by Hornet 6

Never been a RAF base at Battlesbridge as far as I know...

The place is not really big enough to hold one, although there was one in Ashingdon during the early part of WW2.

I only know it existed from a bit in the local paper last year, but have not been able to find out which field it was in.

That does not mean there wasn't a base though, it could have been the same as the RAF place in Canewdon, which was just a couple of cottages and a tall wooden watch tower, which was still standing when I was about 12 or 14.

All that remains now is the cottages.

Neil.

On a different note, in building on a local farm there are 2 insundry bombs hanging on a nail, they plowed them up in the 50's and in quite good nick!

TEH