no need for the gun

KillStone

just got back from walking my 10 month black lab purdey around the same fields we always walk. i allow her to do a bit of hunting as she is a rough shooting dog. anyway part way along this hedge she spun round not 10yards from me and dived into the hedge, a sure sign of there being game in there, next she backed out of the hedge and brought me a perfectly healthy woodcock!!! i havent even shot one this year yet so she has never even seen one!! needless to say i collected the bird checked it over quickly then released it and it flew off unharmed....maybe i would do better to leave the gun at home on shoot days!!!

just got back from walking my 10 month black lab purdey around the same fields we always walk. i allow her to do a bit of hunting as she is a rough shooting dog. anyway part way along this hedge she spun round not 10yards from me and dived into the hedge, a sure sign of there being game in there, next she backed out of the hedge and brought me a perfectly healthy woodcock!!! i havent even shot one this year yet so she has never even seen one!! needless to say i collected the bird checked it over quickly then released it and it flew off unharmed....maybe i would do better to leave the gun at home on shoot days!!!

I think your dog might be trying to tell you something... :lol:

Excellent story, another plus is you know your lab Purdey is not hard mouthed now :) and well done for giving that woodcock the sporting chance it deserves - it was probably so tied and weak after it's long journey only to find the weather here not much better than what it left home from :good:

f3