Where to set up

Guest flightline

Guest flightline

A lot of times the best place to set up from the point of view of the pigeons may be too near a road, houses, footpath or whatever. So I have to compromise.

Roads especially are a problem. I believe it`s not legal to shoot within 25 feet (it may be yards) of even a country lane, though often the hedge beside the road will have the best cover and will be perfect for the wind direction.

Do others have these problems? :thumbs:

My understanding is that you have to be 50ft away from a public thoroughfare.

I have been advised that you can be closer than that, as long as you are not causing a nuisance. But, I,m not sure about that and stick to at least 50ft.

As I have posted before, some of the fields I shoot are almost completely surrounded by public footpaths.

There is also the problem where walkers, horse riders etc, think they can walk/ride on any track, path, roadway over farm land, wether its a public footpath/bridleway or not.

Walkers and road traffic can help move the pigeons about, so its not all bad news.

"Permanent" straw bale hides put in these "problem" fields, seem to be the answer.

The birds get use to them and they ignore them.

I have even had them try to land on the hide, with me inside it.

It does pay to observe the field for a while, before siting the hide, as they are not the easiest things to keep moving about.

On one of the larger fields, I have two bale hides, one at each end.

The wind direction determines which hide I use.

I have even put up a net hide amongst laid wheat and the pigeons came in to the decoys confidently.

It seems that as long as WE are concealed, the hide can be reasonably conspicuous.

I think its 50ft from the center of the path/road,but do rember as cranfield says there being somthing about not hindering peoples progress and causing alarm,my understanding is that 50ft is the minimum as long as you dont hinder anyone but dont quote me on it :thumbs:.Im sure iread somewhere about an experiment carried out by pigeon shooters were they used that orange netting that the council put up round road works and the birds still came in as long as the shooter was hidden.