Smoked Wood Pigeon

superpoll0

Hi, sorry if this is a repeat topic but I searched and searched and searched for advice on hot smoking pood pigeon the other day and couldn't find anything definitive so thought i'd pop this up as my first post to advise others in my predicament.

I had 4 crowns of wood pigeon which I eventually removed from the bone before the process.

I used a Fladen Food Smoker, used a good layer of wood chippings (about 2cm thick), and plenty of meths in the burners.

First off, you have to 'cure' the pigeon meat in salt (I used Rock salt which I grinded down in a mortar and pestle). Use plenty of salt to cover the meat (both sides). Recommended time is 6 hours. You have to make sure to put some kitchen roll or something under the meat as the salt draws the water out. If you don't put anything down, the meat will just sit in it's own water (which defeats the purpose).

Rinse the salt off under a cold tap and then pat dry with more kitchen roll.

Light the smoker and smoke for approx 45-60 minutes. Check the burners haven't burnt out as they only hold so much fuel.

Remove from smoker and done!

I used the above process and the Mark Gilchirst pan-frying cook video for some more pigeon breasts and served all on a bed of salad, dressed with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar - delish!!!!!!

I hope this helps some of you who are in the same situation I was in.

Happy hunting! :yp: