Ideal scope for Springer rifle ......

James_R

Morning all and Happy New Year!

I'm just in the process of buying a Weihrauch HW57 .177 air rifle (legal limit) to deal with rabbit problems. I've been trying to find an ideal scope for it, but I'm coming up against such conflicting information I'm really struggling to get anywhere near a decision!

Some context:

I will be predominantly shooting between 20 - 45 yards.

Must be springer rifle friendly.

Wide mag range not a neccessity - Certainly not over 10x

Illuminated reticle not important (would actually prefer not).

Preferred reticle - Mil dot.

Maximum objective unknown - Need something that will stand off the HW57 and also not block the breech.

Parallax adjustment not important - would prefer to utilise mil dot.

Budget - Ideally under £100 but could stretch a little higher for something perfect.

Most important need - Something that will hold 'zero'. I don't want to have to re-calibrate it every time I take it out. (On that note, is there any truth in the rumour a scope will hold zero for longer if you don't play with the zoom / parallax adjustment??).

If I've left any info off the requirement list, please let me know.

I appreciate I'm at the budget end of the scope market, but would really appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone can make please!

Many thanks in advance!

James

Rabbit 45 yards with 12ft/lbs .177?I would suggest keep the range shorter to be humane and make sure you know your hold overs well and can judge range accurately. Will you be lamping? shooting at night? I think you'll struggle to get a good scope with all the trimmings you want for that price unless you get a secondhand bargain. Quality rather than quantity on MAG if you can see it you can hit it you dont need to count the hairs on its ear!

Edited by HDAV

Hey Bigchap,

Well that's the proverbial spanner in the works!

I've been sold on the Weihrauch brand so will definitely look at the other two you recommended. What's the difference in the breech on the other two?

So assuming the HW77 or HW97, I still need help with the scope please!

Best regards

James

Yes, 45 yards would definitely be the upper and I totally understand the need for a humane kill.

I already shoot with a 12 bore and know my limits with that. I'm just keen to get into the air rifle too.

I would predominantly be shooting at dusk, but wouldn't rule out lamping if I really get my eye in.

Regarding MAG, I would be happy with either a very limited, or even no zoom at all.

I hear having something fixed around 8x is very useful at those kind of ranges?

Like I said, aside from being springer friendly and with a mil dot reticle, I can pretty much take or leave any other features.

Hey Bigchap,

Well that's the proverbial spanner in the works!

I've been sold on the Weihrauch brand so will definitely look at the other two you recommended. What's the difference in the breech on the other two?

So assuming the HW77 or HW97, I still need help with the scope please!

Best regards

James

the pop up breech is a terrible idea,the 57 is also incredibly noisy.i would try and find a s/hand 77 or 97,you can get a good one for £250 including scope.if you get one without a scope then a 1 piece mount is best on a springer.i have used sun optics 1 piece mounts and found them to be the best.i like hawke scopes as they are good for the money and i've never had a problem with one,i use a hawke 2-7x32 ao ir scope and i find it superb although i don't use the illumination.don't forget that the bigger the scope the more weight it adds.i'm hunting at 40 yards plus and the hawke i have is absolutely fine for that.

The HW77 and 97 are far better than the gun you are looking at. Also consider the Air Arms TX200.

Nikko do a range of scopes especially for air guns called Air King. As you have pointed out, there is no need for a zoom scope for rabbits. A 6X fixed mag will do nicely unless you intend to hunt smaller species such as squirrels, rats or head shoot pigeons :rolleyes: . A fixed mag scope helps you judge distances better too.

As bigchap said get a HW77 or HW97 which are proven quality sporters!If you can afford it then look out for a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope.For me these scopes are superb and are perfect for a spring rifle. Also consider the Bushnell range of scopes as these are also excellent.

Hi James.

Simmons Whitetail classic 4.5-14x40 AO Supernightview with Graphite coating. That's the best scope I know for Weihrauch spring rifles. You can vary the mag and a bit more is always useful. Scour the second hand shelves for them as they are no longer made. I bought one when I got my HW80 .22 new over ten years ago and both rifle and scope are still going strong, superbly and every bit as clear and accurately as the day they were bought. These Whitetail scopes cost about £230 new and I managed to find a mint secondhander for £100 for my new HW77 just before Christmas.

Bushnell are very good value too. Have a look at their Banner and Trophy ranges.

Hawke scopes are great value too BUT, very long in their eye relief for HW spring air rifles. I tried several on my HW80s and HW77 and they needed all the forward reach the mounts have, on the last arrestor hole foreward of the trigger and they were still not enough. Not a good situation for comfortable fit to your shoulder.

If an underlever spring rifle is what you want, go for the very best there is. WEIHRAUCH HW77. :good:

It beats the lot. And I also own an HW97K an Air Arms TX200HC .177 and Air Arms TX200 .22 std rifle; and the HW77 is still the cream of the crop.

My biggest regret is that I didn't buy one of these rifles years ago.

With regard to a scope holding zero

You will find that, regardless of how much you re-adjust the Objective focus or Mag ring, these will NOT affect zero. Particularly if you have a scope with 1st Focal Plane lenses and focusing.

It's air temperature and it's effects of expansion and contraction on metals.

Bring a perfectly zeroed scope in fron a cold day, out shooting, into a warm house and the shift in temperature will cause the metals in the scope to expand a little and zero to shift out by a couple of clicks or so.

Hope this adds to the helpful advices.

Edited by Major Konig